Joe Kenny is back in business!

Kostarika

Corey - I have the ones in your picture on my Greenie. They are expertly machined with attention to detail. Even the eagles both fly forward on the bike (or I suppose you could make them both fly backward if you were so inclined.

They must be a lot stronger than the stock cast ones too. I wonder what would break if the guards refused to fail on a big impact. 6mm bolts aren't very strong.

I guess it might not matter at that point.

Strong ones are bending the heads, so after being down you'll have a leaking cover. I've seen some using plastic sliders as crash guards. They support a bigger part of the cylinder. While that may help it still looks a bit strange in my eyes.

The failure point for the stock ones and the Joe Kenny's will be where the guards mount to the heads. I saw this on my crashed parts-bike. One guard had failed on two of the four mounting points, leaving the equivalent of a washer between the bolt head and the rocker cover. They are designed to fail at that point to dissipate the energy of impact.

Joe Kenny's are a bit thicker in that area. I can't say whether that's good or bad for the head. But what is good about Joe Kenny's and other aftermarket guards is that they stick out farther than the OEM. With the OEM, the guard and spark plug boot will hit the ground at about the same time. A bigger guard reduces the risk of damage to plug boot or the plug itself.

When I dropped my Scura at 0MPH on the right, the spark plug bent a little, but didn't break. I had OEM guards on at the time. Now I have some from MotoBits.

Just got my Joe Kenny guards, they are freaking beautiful. Maybe too pretty for my bike...

...but easily transferable to your next. 

• Like 1

Just got my Joe Kenny guards, they are freaking beautiful. Maybe too pretty for my bike...

...but easily transferable to your next. 

I'll suffer through having them on my bike if you need to rid yourself of them.

• Like 1