Reconditioning tank pad

griswoia

Ok folks I don't know what it's called but the pad on the top of the tank, surrounding the filler. Well I've got a sport I'm working over and that pad is super sun damaged.

I looked up the part and guzzi has no NOS. Anyone have a good spare or experience in getting it recovered or reskinned?

All comments appreciated

Chemist's shops, drugstores. Or at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PSGWHIO/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1509816380&sr=8-5&keywords=glycerine&dpPl=1&dpID=41zn0IigAfL&ref=plSrch#

1 galleon. Don't ask me why it should be kosher, any ideas?

Because it is animal byproduct?

Otherwise;

I would like to get rid off mine. Maybe replace it with something made out if sheet steel. I've found it a nuisinace when mounting tank bags. I would what the replacement one to be a lot flatter. It would need someone with good skills in working with sheet steel. Any ideas anyone?

I would like to get rid off mine. Maybe replace it with something made out if sheet steel. I've found it a nuisinace when mounting tank bags. I would what the replacement one to be a lot flatter. It would need someone with good skills in working with sheet steel. Any ideas anyone?

I thought the Scura had a carbon fiber one?

If I eve put on a tank bag I'll probably go with a fuel cap mounted Givi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BDXGLL4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IYMYBR20QJ8FI&colid=26Y5AVMGX9WC6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007217IHI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I37FBKL8G7TQ86&colid=26Y5AVMGX9WC6

81baRtb5hBL._SL1500_.jpg

The Scura has a carbon fiber "pad" that is the same shape and size as the rubber pad. I agree that it's a hassle with a tank bag - a fully loaded bag will tip left or right. And the tank pad interferes with the mounting rings (at least the one I looked at while ago).

I was thinking about making a wood piece to replace the tank pad. But much lower so it would be flush with the tank and fuel door.

It had not occurred to me to wrap it leopard print fabric until just now.

I have the Guzzi tank bag. It works fine.

Me too. But on my recent trip to Phoenix, I had it fully expanded and packed with heavy stuff. On the way home, there were severe crosswinds and I was constantly pushing it back up onto the tank. Admittedly, that was an extreme situation, but I do think the bag would be more stable in all situations without the pad.

Nigel, I may be able to clobber something up, but I'd need your chin pad for a few days, sometime after 12 November.

When you say "a lot flatter", do you want it completely flat (easiest to make) or do you want some curvature?

You would have to paint it yourself.

Would aluminum alloy be okay, or do you need steel for magnetic attachment? If steel, then it should be cadmium plated before painting if you want durability, but this adds costs.