Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

That *might* be overkill, Docc..  :huh2:  :)

It's not overkill for a gaggle of guzzis on a spine raid...

Docc.  You have to do the voodoo dance and rattle the box of springs like bones.  And then rub your hands in used motor oil.

:rasta:

Consider it done! :grin:

Docc.  You have to do the voodoo dance and rattle the box of springs like bones.  And then rub your hands in used motor oil.

:rasta:

Consider it done! :grin:

many times I bet?

• Like 1

Industrial art, indeed! :thumbsup:

It has been widely reported that keeping a spare (talisman) shift spring in the tank bag , or worn around the neck, has effectively warded off broken springs.

A box of Super-Springs in the Tekno ought to extend an element of sanctuary to an entire SpineRaid!

IMG_4585.jpg

Grease them in to protect against rust, come on, you can do it..,. :-)

• Like 2

Industrial art, indeed! :thumbsup:

It has been widely reported that keeping a spare (talisman) shift spring in the tank bag , or worn around the neck, has effectively warded off broken springs.

A box of Super-Springs in the Tekno ought to extend an element of sanctuary to an entire SpineRaid!

IMG_4585.jpg

Grease them in to protect against rust, come on, you can do it..,. :-)

Now, that is good advice!

Here is my metal protectant of choice for this sort of thing:

corxpump.gif

• Like 1

I've just received my spring, and the angle is the same as docc's above (28 - 29º). I suppose you have to give the spring maker credit for being reproducibly wrong. It beggars belief that they can't do better than that. Sorry Chuck, your engineering skills are wasted on people like that. Hopefully, it will still work, and there will be no more lying on the side of the road at unpredictable times draining the gearbox oil while trying not to get any crap in it!

Many thanks to Chuck, Scud, MartyNZ and anyone else involved in this project. Fingers crossed.

Cheers. -  Jim.

Sorry Jim.  I measured a bunch of springs, but not all of them. All the spring I measured were above 15 degrees, but less than 30. They gave me a pretty large +/- for their manufacturing variance on that angle.

I am not impressed with the manufacturing and would use a different company in future. I know it was a very small job, but gosh... it's called Jones Spring Company. All they do is make springs.  :huh2:

I believe we are going to be OK though. The spring as specified, does not reach its full safe travel. Compare this to the original spring, which was going well beyond its safe travel. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know we had some safety margin on that angle before reaching the maximum. The numbers are back there in this conversation somewhere.

We also have over 1,000,000 cycles on a test spring.

Hey Chuck - did you keep that poor, abused spring? What is the angle on that arm after all those shifts? Has it fatigued and reshaped at all?

I'm getting 20º included angle with my rather crude method . . .

Sorry docc, I assumed that you had shown the yellow protractor gauge in your photo because that was the angle you had measured on the spring. (And your comment "This is totally bad".) Looking again, maybe that was the spring from the first run.