Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Docc re-posted a pair of my photos. The one with the yellow protractor was from the first batch, which we rejected. The one with the Dremel was from the second batch, which I trimmed.

36 pages of fun....   :grin:

Honestly, I expect the name to change to "Jones fireworks sales.." :bbblll:  Their inability to make a spring to print (twice) is hard to fathom. That said, the million cycles plus spring looks the same as before testing. They'll work.  :oldgit:

• Like 1

I'm getting 20º included angle with my rather crude method . . .

Sorry docc, I assumed that you had shown the yellow protractor gauge in your photo because that was the angle you had measured on the spring. (And your comment "This is totally bad".) Looking again, maybe that was the spring from the first run.

Docc re-posted a pair of my photos. The one with the yellow protractor was from the first batch, which we rejected. The one with the Dremel was from the second batch, which I trimmed.

36 pages of fun....   :grin:

My apologies, gentlemen. This is a misunderstanding that I created  trying to make a lighthearted post about badass VooDoo, referring to Chuck and Scud's efforts. :blush:

As Scud says, I copied those two photos from their posts for a visual reference to their work. The fact that I spelled badass : "bad @$$", just made my message harder to understand.

Sorry, again, for the confusion. :blush:

Chuck might chime in on this but I believe to hit a tighter tolerance on the angle of a spring is probably a matter of making a crapload of springs and throwing away those out of spec. You can imagine what that does to the cost.

Or they have a crappy machine or the have a decent machine and don’t know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I expect the name to change to "Jones fireworks sales.." :bbblll:  Their inability to make a spring to print (twice) is hard to fathom. That said, the million cycles plus spring looks the same as before testing. They'll work.  :oldgit:

Was it just Jones Spring Co. or was it part Joens Big ass truck rental and storage?

Or Jones Good Ass BBQ and Foot massage?

Chuck might chime in on this but I believe to hit a tighter tolerance on the angle of a spring is probably a matter of making a crapload of springs and throwing away those out of spec. You can imagine what that does to the cost.

Or they have a crappy machine or the have a decent machine and don’t know how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how they are making these springs. I had no problem holding plus or minus 2 degrees on the angle, and plus or minus .005" on the diameter, though. Once set up, a production run should be *very* consistent. The few Scud sent me aren't terribly consistent, but they'll work.

Whatever.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heya gang, 

In preparation for my installation of this new spring I figured I try to find one of Chuck's modified shifter linkage extender plates as outlined in this thread to dial things in shifting wise and further support the wisdom and ingenuity of those that contribute to this Guzzi community. 

Chuck has been kind enough to potentially offer another run of those if we can get 10 spoken for in a group buy (thanks Chuck!).  I though I'd post this here considering the attention this thread generated and the related nature of the part.

If anybody is interested maybe we can post in the above linked thread? 

Apologies if anybody finds this is an inappropriate request or the wrong place to post. 

HAHA - the Jones videos are so funny. But the guys at Jones spring were very decent. They just couldn't seem to get our little order exactly in spec.

Install note - please pay careful attention to how the pre-selector works off the bike, with the new spring, before you install it. I didn't file the edges off the bits I had to trim down (details in previous pages). 

@ Stumble - I like the idea of linking to the other part. We gotta keep Chuck busy in his retirement or he will get bored.   :grin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a close look at the 2 springs that I have replaced this week and 1 of them has a definite flat worn on one side, has anyone noticed this? the one with the wear came out of a Cafe Sport that has had at least 3 breakages, the other spring shows no sign of wear marks, I've tried to get a pic of it, the wear is at the bottom of the coil

IMG_0609.JPG

• Like 1

Both bikes are back together now, I have replaced them both with the modified spring, the only thing it could be rubbing against is the ratchet arm I think, this could explain why some break and others don't, if this is the reason for failure it would take a while for the damage to appear on a new spring, now I'm worried that the new 3 coil spring is wider and could wear quicker

There "should" be plenty of room for the 3 coil spring, unless something is not right. From memory  :whistle: that distance was .240". The new 3 coil spring is .071"x 3= .213". I posted a picture of one installed many pages back.

Edit: Ah, here it is on page 9

26731151899_427673e599_c.jpg

I'm not knocking the new spring Chuck I hope they last forever but this wear could be a reason for failure on some bikes.

Looking at your photo of the 3 coil spring the end coil seems to lie nice and flat against the ratchet arm so not rubbing at one point

I'm not knocking the new spring Chuck I hope they last forever but this wear could be a reason for failure on some bikes.

Looking at your photo of the 3 coil spring the end coil seems to lie nice and flat against the ratchet arm so not rubbing at one point

I'm just looking for why yours failed like that. There should be more than plenty of space for the stock spring in there. Is the long arm tweeked? Something must be causing the spring to sit at an angle on the shaft. (?)

I think there's more chance of the stock spring to sit at an angle on the shaft than the new spring as the new spring is a closer fit having an extra coil, problem is I didn't notice the flat until I'd put the bike back together

Here is the million plus spring. I edited the picture to make the wear a *little* more noticeable. You can see a very light shiny area where the straight arm wears on the coil, and the area yours is worn.

40514010365_b762afc5b5_c.jpg2018-04-12_09-50-13 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Edit: If you click on the image, it will take you to Flickr, then clicking on it again will blow it up.