Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

21 minutes ago, Flooky said:

Is there any of the modded ones left, ? new to guzzi, and read the whole thread. I would love a more reliable spring. cheers Flooky

I have a couple in a box. I don't know whether they are prototypes or not. Maybe one of them is the one million plus shifts test spring :helmet:  but I'm pretty sure I binned it. Maybe they are from when Scud sent a few to me to do a "quality control" test. I just sent out my last "prototype"  spring this week. I don't know what Scud has been charging for shipping to the UK..so I can't give you a price.

• 1 month later...

I realize I'm late to the party on this one, but if anyone, particularly in Canada ended up a spring to spare from this batch, please pm me

I'd love to have one on hand in case my new to me, 2002 Lemans throws a hissy fit. 

I may start another thread at some point, but from what I've learned on this thread, is that the larger 16 mm spring boss in the later models is contributing to spring failure.

Would it be a good game plan to open up the tranny, verify and reduce that spring boss if needed to 15 mm as a preventative measure,,, not matter what new spring I have in hand?

Tia

Kelly   

3 hours ago, 80CX100 said:

I realize I'm late to the party on this one, but if anyone, particularly in Canada ended up a spring to spare from this batch, please pm me

I'd love to have one on hand in case my new to me, 2002 Lemans throws a hissy fit. 

I may start another thread at some point, but from what I've learned on this thread, is that the larger 16 mm spring boss in the later models is contributing to spring failure.

Would it be a good game plan to open up the tranny, verify and reduce that spring boss if needed to 15 mm as a preventative measure,,, not matter what new spring I have in hand?

Tia

Kelly   

welcome Kelly, until you get a "new" forum spring, be sure to carry an extra old one. it work's as a talisman to keep the other from breaking! There's also a thread somewhere for roadside repair of a broken spring. just in case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

welcome Kelly, until you get a "new" forum spring, be sure to carry an extra old one. it work's as a talisman to keep the other from breaking! There's also a thread somewhere for roadside repair of a broken spring. just in case

Hey Footgoose,    Tks very much; I'm making up a to do and parts list, but that's definitely the plan.

I'd love to end up with a good one in the bike and a "talisman" spare in the toolkit; just to keep Murphy at bay,lol.

Kelly

My eyes are crossed after reading this thread! Chuck, you deserve a free vacation to Mandello del Lario! My '04 ballabio came with a spare spring, but I think it's in Guzzi wrapping.  Will have to look - but I'd rather buy a new and improved spring.

It seems that some others and I are late to the game. The price you were charging, while a great benefit to the members, seemed to me to be way too low for the time and effort you put into the project. If no MG aftermarket supplier or even MG itself is not interested, then you should be properly compensated. I would willingly pay much more than you charged for the peace and security of knowing I would not have to limp home in who-knows-which gear. 

p.s. Love your Piper. It looks meticulously kept. Dad was a pilot - rebuilt his 1941 Luscombe 8C by himself. Bro and I climbed into the fuselage to buck rivets, as we were the only ones who could fit back near the tailsection. He re-covered the wings and doped the fabric in our back yard. Painted it and started the wingless plane up in our driveway. He had to chase the neighbor kids away when they came running to see what all the commotion was about!. He flew it from Canada to Mexico, and we went to many fly-ins. Ah, those were the days!

• Like 3

Hey Chuck,      If another batch of the improved springs ever gets done, definitely count me in for 2,,, one for the tranny,,, and to keep it from breaking,,, another one for the tool kit,lol.

Hey po18guy;     I  agree with you,,, that was a major thread to digest,,, but what a glowing testament to the guzzi community, and the lengths that they will go to, to help each other.

Kelly

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Ok, that's 5. Anyone else want one?

Don't close the door yet, I'm sending out some smokesignals further north  :rasta:

cheers tom

While Chuck is thinking about whether to hand-make a batch, I will inquire about a re-order. It's probably not a big deal to order up another 100 or so - and I have a stock of boxes left over for shipping.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1