Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Either way, having a spare is a good thing. I don't care if they're $20 each. What is the value of not having to tear the bike down? Of not being stranded in a single gear?

• Like 2

Hello Chuck and Scud, I now have about one year about 4,000 miles on the new spring you provided. Everything continues to work great. If you do another run, I would buy a couple more for the day when I also buy a v11 Lemans in addition to my 2004 V11 Sport Ballabio. Thanks for all your work on this issue. Phil

• Like 1

I have repurposed the tooling to make a couple of Jackal throttle return springs, so I'd have to make everything new. Of course, I *can* but I'm lazy in my old age..

I'll do it if Scud doesn't want to mess with another run, though.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I'd be in for two springs if they become available.  As far as I know, my 2003 LeMans still has the original...  I would like to replace before the inevitable happens,  and would like to have a spare as well.

Looking over this thread I can appreciate all the work that's gone into this, thank you !

• Like 2

I will attempt to keep tally of how many are wanted. I will gladly pay in advance.

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

10. JBBenson (2)

• Thanks 2

I'm way late to this party as well.  (And my eyes are crossed from reading 41 pages!) I was unaware of the spring breakage problem, mine hasn't let go (yet). But I want a spare in any event, so if you have another run made, put me down for one (or two, if need be to get the run started.)

1 hour ago, po18guy said:

Anyone here also active on Wildguzzi Guzziriders or any other local regional or national clubs? Might be some interest to be generated there.

I put the word out on WG, done. https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=103615.0

Tks for rallying the cause.

Kelly

Yes, I've spent more time on Wildguzzi than here in the past.  Now that I'm retired and have more leisure time, that should change.  Which begs the question: if a new run of springs is made, what would be the method of notification?  Just have to check back here from time to time?

1 hour ago, Motormike said:

Yes, I've spent more time on Wildguzzi than here in the past.  Now that I'm retired and have more leisure time, that should change.  Which begs the question: if a new run of springs is made, what would be the method of notification?  Just have to check back here from time to time?

If *I* make them, I'll make as many as are spoken for. It's not like I set up a spring winder and run a batch.. it's all by hand. Paging Mr. Scudder.. Mr. Scudder to the courtesy phone, please.. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chuck said:

If *I* make them, I'll make as many as are spoken for. It's not like I set up a spring winder and run a batch.. it's all by hand. Paging Mr. Scudder.. Mr. Scudder to the courtesy phone, please.. :)

Hey Chuck,     I know time is precious, it's going to be a long winter, plenty of time for things to fall into place, if it's meant to be.

Hopefully Scud is able to get the spring shop to run another batch off & if he's sick of boxing and mailing, perhaps there is someone close to him that may consider taking that over.

I could forward some cash for beer & pizza, if someone wanted to throw an improved spring boxing/mailing party,lol. 

I can appreciate that all the little details required for something like this to float are a pita.

If reengineered spring part 2 takes place, great, if not; I'll make sure I have a couple on hand from MGCycle by springtime.

Thanks for your expertise and time that you've already invested in this; this 42 page thread is a testament to you,Scud & others that make this guzzi world, a special one.

Kelly

If all other sources fall through, I do live near Renton Coil Spring, which does race car and aerospace stuff - being right next to Boeing. Browsing their site might bring a tear to any machinists, metalurgists or other cutting oil and metal shaving-covered types out there. Would not be cheap, but other than carrying spares and installing the shift cover with Dzus fasteners for roadside repairs, what's a bloke to do?  Also know of a fellow who has a certain shop make batches of gun springs for him.