Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, po18guy said:

I will attempt to keep tally of how many are wanted. I will gladly pay in advance.

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

Yeah of course I will pay ahead too. 

I take another two from this run, if it happens.....

On 11/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, po18guy said:

I will attempt to keep tally of how many are wanted. I will gladly pay in advance.

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

10. JBBenson (2)

11. Kevin_T (3)

Post updated.

Howdy boys... I'll commit to running another batch of springs. Been busy with work lately - lots of travel. But I can get another batch ordered.

BTW - I'm gonna need some help with electrickecy soon. My Scura's been parked too long. 

But today, I'm up in Morro Bay near the start of the Big Sur coastline. Waves are supposed to be 25 feet by Piedras Blanca on Big Sur. Me and Husky 701 are going to brave the wet, rocky, muddy stuff to inspect.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scud said:

Howdy boys... I'll commit to running another batch of springs. Been busy with work lately - lots of travel. But I can get another batch ordered.

BTW - I'm gonna need some help with electrickecy soon. My Scura's been parked too long. 

But today, I'm up in Morro Bay near the start of the Big Sur coastline. Waves are supposed to be 25 feet by Piedras Blanca on Big Sur. Me and Husky 701 are going to brave the wet, rocky, muddy stuff to inspect.

Happy Thanksgiving.

good to see yer words sir. A couple Husky pics for the vicarious please.

I got a price quote in today for another batch of springs - from the same company I used before.

But I wasn't totally happy with them (as detailed somewhere back in this enormous thread).  So I'm also going to check with a local manufacturer.

We'll get a batch on order soon and be back in business.

^^and to Footgoose's picture request, I posted a few in the Adventure Bikes thread.

FYI - Chuck's engineering diagram is posted in this thread so that the design specs are available for anyone who is motivated enough to have a batch produced. Neither Chuck nor I are trying to claim ownership or exclusive rights to this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to contact the local aerospace spring maker (they do motorsports) and see how many and how much. They are big on Ti,but will do any and all usual spring steels. I have an  NOS Guzzi spring, but I understand that the improved spring has three coils rather than two, and a different diameter wire? 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, po18guy said:

I am going to contact the local aerospace spring maker (they do motorsports) and see how many and how much. They are big on Ti,but will do any and all usual spring steels. I have an  NOS Guzzi spring, but I understand that the improved spring has three coils rather than two, and a different diameter wire? 

Here is the reply I received:

Thanks for the email.

We don’t have minimums, but the price per part decreases as you quantities increase.

It looks like the original is made from music wire.  We’d probably look at using a 17-7 stainless material.

Here are a few additional questions before we get started…

Quantities?

Where are the stock parts failing?

FYI, we’re a high end spring manufacturer (primarily using exotic materials such as titanium, UPG10, and X3) so we’re not the cheapest out there.

Also, our lead times are currently in the 36 week range.

Best regards-

Kyle

KYLE CABAYA

Motorsport Manager

RENTON COIL SPRING CO. INC.

LOCATION: 425 S. 7th St. | MAIL: PO Box 880 | Renton, WA 98057

P: 425.255.1453 x225 | F: 425.228.0780 | M: 425.922.4250

www.rentoncoilspring.com

REVAMPED-BANNER-5.3.png

As to lead time, I guess they are busy helping Boeing fix those 737 Maxes that have been crashing...

• Thanks 2

Follow up email states that he's working on a quote. I told him possibly 100 springs. CRAP! How am I gonna pay for those!!!

I'll be interested to see the price quote - but a 36 week lead time doesn't seem like a good idea. The place I used before gave me a price quote that I can afford.

No response yet from my potential second source.

I have not heard of a single problem with the new springs, so I think a re-order from the same place will probably be OK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1