Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Yeah, my effort is only a backup. I could see most commercial spring makers wanting a 1,000 order or similar. wonder if Harper's or MG would have interest in stocking what we don't buy up? Not even the EU or UN could get Madello del Lario interested...

OK... brace yourselves:

"We looked at designs in 17-7 and also beta-c titanium.  Using titanium will reduce the torque by about 40%.

Here is what we came up with…

STAINLESS 17-7

QTY 50 @ $65.00 each

QTY 100@ $41.25 each

QTY 150 @ $33.75 each

QTY 200 @ $30.00 each

+$1000 non-recurring charge for tooling

Beta-C Titanium

QTY 50 @ $85.00 each

QTY 100@ $68.50 each

QTY 150 @ $64.75 each

QTY 200 @ $62.75 each

+$1500 non-recurring charge for tooling

Quoted lead time is 40 weeks from receipt of a purchase order.

Wow... I was selling them for $10 each to do a bit better than break even. Thanks for posting the quote - I'll go ahead and get my order placed this week.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, Scud said:

Wow... I was selling them for $10 each to do a bit better than break even. Thanks for posting the quote - I'll go ahead and get my order placed this week.

Can I still get in on this? If so, I'd take 2.

Already had the spring fail but fixed it with the updated version & have had no issues to date. However, a little insurance never hurts. :lol:

Update:

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

10. JBBenson (2)

11. Kevin_T (3)

12. ObdewlaX (2)

Total as of this date: 25 springs.

I just saw the tooling cost from Renton Coil Springs. Wowzers!

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

If it helps the costs, I can purchase another.   I still have the last one in my tankbag.

Let's see what Scud has to say about it. I'll wait, since 1) I do not have immediate need and 2) I'm not enthralled with the $200 +/- cost of Aerospace Ti, or even $165 for 17-7 Stainless.

After riding an impressive 2 blocks before it began to pour, all I can say is "Hurry Spring!" - the season and the shift component.

11 hours ago, po18guy said:

Let's see what Scud has to say about it. I'll wait, since 1) I do not have immediate need and 2) I'm not enthralled with the $200 +/- cost of Aerospace Ti, or even $165 for 17-7 Stainless.

After riding an impressive 2 blocks before it began to pour, all I can say is "Hurry Spring!" - the season and the shift component.

wait.  $200 for EACH spring?  I guess I wasn't paying attention.  If true, please scratch me from the list. 

18 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

wait.  $200 for EACH spring?  I guess I wasn't paying attention.  If true, please scratch me from the list. 

Airplane springs. :rasta: Add airplane to anything and the price goes up by a factor of 10. Or more..:oldgit: Not always though. Some tools, hareware etc. are cheaper to buy from Aircraft Spruce than you can get at the local hardware or McMaster Carr.

• Like 1

Yeah. I don’t really need another two springs, I still have one as a spare. I just wanted to help defray costs for others who don’t have them.

If they are really 200/per, please take me out.  I guess wasn’t paying attention either. 

• Like 1

Not sure it is my place to clarify, but . . .

Chuck's design, built by Scud's choice of spring maker, was not "$200." That is the recent quote po18guy got from an aircraft supplier in the PNW/USA.  That looks (to me) to be a "go away price." :angry2:

Whether Scud chooses to use the last spring maker (took them twice to get it right) or another, IDK.

But, AFAIK, the $200/spring maker in the PNW is not the route of choice.

Check my work, and correct me if I am wrong. Just hoping to quell the confusion. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The springs were $10 each last time. I'm going to try to talk to spring maker again Monday to see if I feel confident about getting the order correct the first time. The price will probably go up a little - and so will the shipping cost. I'll buy the springs and give y'all the order details as soon as I have a firm price, quantity, and date. I don't need any "charity" buys. Just buy what you need and I'll probably end up with a stash of extras. 

I might even attempt to barter a few springs with MG Cycle or AF1Racing.

• Thanks 2

Sorry for any confusion. I was just checking on an option (and an extremely expensive one at that) in case neither of the other spring makers would make up an order.  It is clear that we do not need space shuttle-quality springs - or at space shuttle price.

• Thanks 2

Order is placed. If all goes well, I can ship out springs before January 15, 2020. 

How to order:

I'd prefer that you send money via PayPal as a friend (to avoid fees) and include your shipping address in the PayPal notes. My PayPal ID is scudder(dot)tim(at)gmail(dot)com. 

$12.00 per spring

Please Add:

• $8.00 for US Postal Service (USPS) shipping to USA
  • $12.00 for USPS shipping to Canada
  • $18.00 for USPS shipping anywhere else

You can send funds now if you want, I will pre-address all the boxes so I can just drop in the appropriate number of springs and do a mass-mailing on "spring day."  I'll make another forum donation when I pass the financial break-even point.

Let there be no fear... of bike stuck in gear... far away or near.       :race:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1