Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

The efforts of members here is epic. Pretty soon, Mandello del Lario will be buying some!

Hello? Piaggio? Are you listening? Are you even awake?  

• Like 3

Hello Scud

I just sent paypal for another 2 springs. The one from the original batch is still working great in by 04 v11 Ballabio with about 4500 miles on it. These ones will be for a Lemans I want to buy and a spare for it.

Thanks again for all your work.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2020 at 10:54 PM, PhillipLarsen said:

Hello Scud

I just sent paypal for another 2 springs. The one from the original batch is still working great in by 04 v11 Ballabio with about 4500 miles on it. These ones will be for a Lemans I want to buy and a spare for it.

Thanks again for all your work.

If you are interested, there is a Ballabio registry thread.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:09 AM, Scud said:

Order is placed. If all goes well, I can ship out springs before January 15, 2020. 

How to order:

I'd prefer that you send money via PayPal as a friend (to avoid fees) and include your shipping address in the PayPal notes. My PayPal ID is scudder(dot)tim(at)gmail(dot)com. 

$12.00 per spring

Please Add:

• $8.00 for US Postal Service (USPS) shipping to USA
  • $12.00 for USPS shipping to Canada
  • $18.00 for USPS shipping anywhere else

You can send funds now if you want, I will pre-address all the boxes so I can just drop in the appropriate number of springs and do a mass-mailing on "spring day."  I'll make another forum donation when I pass the financial break-even point.

Let there be no fear... of bike stuck in gear... far away or near.       :race:

I've had a few inquiries and am accumulating boxes for a future batch of shipping. Above is the post with the payment detail. Remember, I will need your mailing address. Send me a PM if you prefer to use Venmo or mail a paper check.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had an "essential" reason to leave my home and go to the post office for work today, so I mailed out several springs. If you've sent me money in the last month, during California's Corona-virus Clampdown, your springs are on the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I've had the little box with Scud's springs for a while now. I finally got the bike apart. I feel stupid. This whole discussion is about a different spring. I knew that my shift lever wasn't returning to center, but I just assumed that this broken spring issue was common for everyone. Some people had suggested that I check with Cannon Racecraft for an improved shift lever return spring. I guess that I should do that now.d3599db364509d461af6c1dd9603ae5c.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

It's Saturday night and I've just read this thread from start to finish. My life must be boring, you think:)

As an owner of an early red frame, I'm not very anxious about the spring, but you'll never know. Shit happens.

PayPal friend-payment for two springs to Norway is done. I'm sure it's cheap insurance. Thanks a million for the effort @Chuck and @Scud a.o. The R&D you've done is impressive!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday and today going through the 700-odd entries of this thread and now have a better understanding of the process and efforts that went into making this happen! So first, a sincere thank you to all who contributed, especially of course, Scud.

I ordered and received my Scud spring a few weeks ago, and my "new" V11 Le Mans was delivered last week, so it's time to get to work. I'm assuming the instructions for the installation of the Pawl Spring located in the FAQ section from 15 years ago are still the best ones to follow - could someone please confirm that, or advise if elsewhere?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

You're speaking of belfastguzzi's thread? He was an early pioneer of dealing with the failed springs, even changing one on the roadside! :luigi:

Rather surprising, but his image links look to still be up . . . :thumbsup:

Also worth referencing is LuckyPhil's outstanding thread "V11 Shift Improvement" . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, thanks Docc, that's what I'm planning to use unless there's an updated version. I also have a service manual for backup Thanks also for the link for the shift improvement.

• Like 1

I'm about to re-assmeble with new Scudd spring. Can anyone tell me if this rotating plate needs to be in a specific position? Could not see it during disassembly. Thanks.fc787d80ae97ed50dd29466517dd6015.jpg

• Thanks 1