Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

...I rotated that plate fully counter-clockwise and re-assembled everything. Bike seems to shift well (at least 1st, neutral, and 2nd gear in the garage). Raining so will test ride tomorrow.
One odd thing, I filled the gear oil with 0.37 liters as prescribed in the manual, and not showing up in the site glass (yes, drain plug in and bike vertical. I put in a little bit more, and still nothing, even after tilting the bike to the right of vertical. Will take it for a ride around the block and check the site glass tomorrow.

• Confused 1

Thanks guys, .850 liters is what I thought I recalled from my old Scura. So here's where I got the info in the manual. On this page it says "transmission box" at 0.37 liters. Then I flipped to the previous page where it of course states "Rear transmission box".
Doh!99602ceb68eb2a048882da7751179ac5.jpg

• Haha 1

Makes me want to try and say something Italian, translated three-times-sideways (as always):

:nerd:  :luigi:   :grin:    :race:  :mg:

• Like 1

Looking through my multi-lingual Owner's Manual and Workshop Manual (each in three languages, but not the same three!), I recall the Italians call both the shifting gearbox a "trasmissione" (primeria/Cambione) and the reardrive/bevelbox/chunk/punkin'  -  "trasmissione" (secondaria/ posteriore).

Mighty easy to get that mixed around. :wacko:

You are too kind docc, and you have awesome emojis!

I have no excuse, I lived in Florence for 2 years where I contracted this terrible disease that makes me love everything Italian (Guzzis, Ducatis, Alfa Romeos, Sofia Loren, Prosecco...), and speak Italian reasonably well.  I should cross-checked with the original Italian instructions 🤪

Anyway, filled it up to .850 and the good ol Redline is right in the middle of the glass. Glad the Pawl Spring job is done, and can't wait to ride her tomorrow!

• Like 3

Found two very nice shift springs in my mailbox today. :)
Now I just need a rainy weekend to install one of them.

5 weeks from CA to Sweden via customs isn't too bad with the planet being what it is right now.

Thanks again, Scud.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Found two very nice shift springs in my mailbox today.
Now I just need a rainy weekend to install one of them.
5 weeks from CA to Sweden via customs isn't too bad with the planet being what it is right now.
Thanks again, Scud.

Hard rain in Norway all this weekend, how about Sweden? Have you installed the new spring?

I have plans to replace the spring myself... I have so many plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, hammershaug said:

Hard rain in Norway all this weekend, how about Sweden? Have you installed the new spring?

I have plans to replace the spring myself... I have so many plansemoji6.png

Nope. Been busy enjoying the sunshine. :race:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Scud said:

I have a lot of springs. Payment and shipping details are back a few pages. I have a few boxes ready to ship as soon as I am allowed to leave my house - California is currently under stay-at-home orders to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Just broke my shift selector spring pulling into the driveway after scorching about 100 plus miles of winding mountain back roads.  Life is good! 

Money and tip on the way SCUD for 2 pawl springs please.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom in Virginia said:

Just broke my shift selector spring pulling into the driveway after scorching about 100 plus miles of winding mountain back roads.  Life is good! 

Money and tip on the way SCUD for 2 pawl springs please.

How many miles on the LeMans, Tom?

On 6/8/2020 at 5:55 PM, hammershaug said:

I have plans to replace the spring myself... I have so many plansemoji6.png

Done now.

Relatively "easy" following the excellent write-ups in this thread, Phils and belfastguzzis.
Also helping is adhering to "RULE NUMBER ONE OF V11 TINKERING":
"Thou shalt always remove any and all parts from thine V11, even the parts thou thinks must not be removed, for they shalt need to be removed anyways, sooner or later, to get to the part upon which thy desire to tinker":oldgit:

The old spring looked OK (but it isn't. See Chucks reply below.), but more compressed than the new one.
Road test report to follow once the weather clears.

Springs.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The old spring looked OK,

The old spring is not OK. :oldgit: It has already taken a "set" from over travel, and will break sooner of later.. your number one rule on tinkering is spot on, however. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1