Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Good idea from Jim there,, how can I say so now. You will hear it when the side cover finds home.    :rasta:

Cheers tom.

• Like 1

...exactly what I did a couple weeks ago. When i did the first dry run, they were off by just an 1/8" or so and needed a little adjusting and refitting. Glad I didn't have the sealant on at that point.

Very soon I intend to install the Chuck-Made/Scud Spring :thumbsup:  and compare to a factory replacement spring with about 64,000 miles/ 100.000 km on it.  This replaced one that broke in my warranty replacement gearbox after about 27,000 miles.

Here is the conundrum.  I have the "other two" factory replacement springs. Should I swap in these other two springs for the ones in the warranty gearbox that have about 90,000 miles/ 145.000 km on them?

What is your intent for those other two transmissions? To sell with the caveat attached, sure. For yourself? Time-bomb trannies do not a touring gentleman make.  MG, Harper's or someone who has the ability and desire to wind these springs up should have them listed in their online parts lists. Relying leaning on the tried and true forum members gets a little wearing on them.

I only have the warranty gearbox (installed since ~27,000 miles). Moto Guzzi took the original back. Right before they made the recall.

If any Guzzi parts supplier would take any interest in stocking these springs, I suspect that would be Gordon at MG Cycle. Perhaps he could even send some to Stein-Dinse since I'm pretty sure they have a relationship.

Curious to see how the other two springs compare to new ones. The shift lever is failing to spring back up more often. I seem to recall one of the other springs aids that function as well as the "pawl spring" in question (?)

1 hour ago, docc said:

I only have the warranty gearbox (installed since ~27,000 miles). Moto Guzzi took the original back. Right before they made the recall.

If any Guzzi parts supplier would take any interest in stocking these springs, I suspect that would be Gordon at MG Cycle. Perhaps he could even send some to Stein-Dinse since I'm pretty sure they have a relationship.

Curious to see how the other two springs compare to new ones. The shift lever is failing to spring back up more often. I seem to recall one of the other springs aids that function as well as the "pawl spring" in question (?)

the pawl spring only puts tension on the arm, for positive engagement. Not sure which spring aids the shift lever. I suspect one of "those others"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

the pawl spring only puts tension on the arm, for positive engagement. Not sure which spring aids the shift lever. I suspect one of "those others"

The shift lever return spring.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Broke side cover down, this is what I found.  Chuck and Scudd's spring installed.  Everything checks out, hand worked the edge where the spring contacted selector so its rounded edge.  Really excited  to get her back on the road, been missing this bike since it went down.  Boss on selector checked out at 14.91 mm.  Guess the 2002 with 2500 miles will get same treatment when it arrives.

0801201321.jpg0801201321.jpg0801201321.jpg0801201321.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, by the way, based on RTV job on the selector box cover, I could safely say this "CHUCK/SCUD spring" is at least the 3rd spring to go into this bike, to include original.  I imagine the guy I bought it from had problems around 18,000 miles and had to pay the shop to fix. Once that was done (paying Northern VA shop prices) he was likely motivated to deal on his asking price.  Just my guess.  I will forever love this bike, it is the most fun to ride of all the bikes I had.  I'd be willing to put another 10 springs in it if I had to, but that will be highly unlikely with the perfection that you guys have engineered/manufactured here.

Edited by Tom in Virginia
editorial misspellings, grammar
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, po18guy said:

Is that marinara sauce in the trans??? Or just a red-blooded Guzzi?

My Greenie looked like that . After five days of running for 10 minutes and oil changes every day , it cleared up . 

19 hours ago, Tom in Virginia said:

You guessed it, a little bit of both.  Red Line Marinara seasoned with Italian Gootsie blood. 

That blood-red beauty should not be hidden. I wonder if a clear Lexan cover could be made???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1