Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

• 9 months later...

My spring packed it i  today leaving me in 3rd all the way home. This is my second broken spring. Are there any of these new ones available still?

[docc-edit: @Scud @Chuck ]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, guzzijek said:

Thanks Scud and Chuck for getting these springs manufactured. Hopefully this cures the spring issue for good.

Companion thread:

10 hours ago, guzzijek said:

Thanks Scud and Chuck for getting these springs manufactured. Hopefully this cures the spring issue for good.

I'm cautiously optimistic. :oldgit: They've been in service long enough by now that if they were going to break, we'd have heard of at least one..

Unlike the OEM design, the spring calculator says they "shouldn't" break. :rasta:

• Like 3

I was thinking about that too, Chuck. As far as these springs go, no news is good news. I have not heard of any failures yet either.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

New to the forum having picked up a very nice '03 LeMans a couple of weeks back. Loving the bike but of course a week into ownership and having done just a couple of hundred km the dreaded shift return spring broke.

Stuck in first gear but luckily only about 1km from my house so able to ride home.

Unfortunately having this happen just a very short while into ownership does not exactly inspire confidence in riding this bike more than a few miles from my house.

The previous owner did give me a spare spring but after reading through most of this forum I'm inclined to fit one of the super springs developed by you guys (and grab a spare as well). I'm so impressed by the effort and work that you put into figuring out a solution.

Are there any still available?

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bobman said:

New to the forum having picked up a very nice '03 LeMans a couple of weeks back. Loving the bike but of course a week into ownership and having done just a couple of hundred km the dreaded shift return spring broke.

Stuck in first gear but luckily only about 1km from my house so able to ride home.

Unfortunately having this happen just a very short while into ownership does not exactly inspire confidence in riding this bike more than a few miles from my house.

The previous owner did give me a spare spring but after reading through most of this forum I'm inclined to fit one of the super springs developed by you guys (and grab a spare as well). I'm so impressed by the effort and work that you put into figuring out a solution.

Are there any still available?

Cheers

Hi, Bobman! You and your V11 are in good hands with these kind folks. The only reason to get a spare Chuck-engineered/ @Scud-made SuperSpring is for your buddy who didn't get the memo.  :luigi:

Welcome, @Bobman! :mg:

10 hours ago, Chuck said:

Paging Mr. Scudder.. Mr. Scudder to the red courtesy phone, please..

there are lots.

I'm not home, but I brought my courtesy phone. I cannot ship a spring for a couple weeks. I know that several of all y'all have stashed a spare one. Anybody already in BC, or elsewhere in Canada have a spare to help out a crippled V11?

• Like 1

Ok...so I decided to stick the spare stock spring in for now and will switch out for the super spring later.

I striped it and put in the new spring no problem. My question is with regard to reassembly. Remember my bike was stuck in first gear so it's tough to know where things should be for the box to be in neutral prior to refitting. I'm pretty sure I got the shifter wheels right as it seems neutral is just one 'notch' back from the dot markers on them that I think corresspond to first.

I think I found neutral in the box by messing around and dry fitting the cover and checking the back wheel moves freely.

Then removed it again and refitted with gasket maker. Before I fill with oil I thought I'd check if I can shift through gears but seems I can only select first and neutral. However I think that this is all you can get in the box without the engine running...is this correct or is it possible I have the shifter arms incorrectly positioned?

Thanks

• Like 1