Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

For purposes of clarity,  "Return" spring (left) / "Detent Roller" spring (right):

IMG_3089.jpg

[Above: the difference in spring shape after about 90,000 miles/145.000 km]

Left.

Cheers Tom.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Left.

Cheers Tom.

I recall that spring should only face one way. Flipping it over causes it to twist and make trouble?

Yep, here it is in that excellent thread. This good advice came from @Lucky Phil' expert posting:

"The return spring can be installed the wrong way. Make sure when fitted the spring isn't contacting the cover, if it is remove it and install the other way."

gearbox%20mod%20013.JPG

• Like 1

Looks like you have the teeth lined up in the photo.  Try Tomchri's suggestion.  If that other spring is out of place, the cam gears will turn properly by hand but the shift lever won't be able to turn the cam gears correctly.  And that spring almost always comes out of place during disassembly.  

Ok….didn’t have a lot of time last night but enough to remove the cover, dismantle the mechanism and flip the ‘centering’ spring. Note the third spring has not been disturbed at all.

Also checked that the dots on the gears lined up correctly.

Honestly, I don’t see any difference in the spring one way round from the other. It’s possible that there are some minor differences in the angle of the legs but hard to detect…..makes me wonder if the spring was ‘handed' as such how you would know the correct way if it was a new spring fresh out of the package?

I took photos below.

I didn’t have time to refit the case and try the gears, hopefully will do so tonight….fingers crossed.

Thanks

1-original spring.pdf

Success.

Had a bit of time to slap it back together tonight.

I did flip the spring but think this was not the cause of the issues. Rather it looks like the shifter might have been fouling on the swingarm on up shifts. Kinda strange cause I never had issues before and marked and fitted the shifting arm in exactly the same place as it was previously but somehow the new spring has increased the action or something.

Anyway all seems good now and at least when  I do the job again to fit the fantastical Chuck & Scud super spring it should be a breeze breeze 😜

Incidently, I noticed the starter gear and the flywheel gear it engages has a considerable amount of surface rust....is this something I should treat in some way?

Anyway appreciate everyone's input, just need this awful spring weather we've been having to improve.

5 hours ago, Bobman said:

Success.

Incidently, I noticed the starter gear and the flywheel gear it engages has a considerable amount of surface rust....is this something I should treat in some way?

Anyway appreciate everyone's input, just need this awful spring weather we've been having to improve.

No.

Ciao

• Like 1

The selector spring in my 2005 manufactured V11 failed after only 21000 miles.  The Piaggio dealers that I managed to limp to in 2nd gear (I think) couldn't get a replacement spring quickly so I got one from Gutzibits in the UK.  So I'm not sure if this was better, worse or the same as the standard part.  Since this is my one and only mechanical breakdown in what is now 45000miles of happy riding, I have followed this thread with interest.  Understandably, after a further 27000 miles since the last spring failure, I am concerned that it is due to fail again, possibly when touring abroad; I'm going to the Picos in Spain at the end of next month.  Can anyone help me by letting me know how I can get hold/buy of one of these superior springs?  I am in the UK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterT said:

The selector spring in my 2005 manufactured V11 failed after only 21000 miles.  The Piaggio dealers that I managed to limp to in 2nd gear (I think) couldn't get a replacement spring quickly so I got one from Gutzibits in the UK.  So I'm not sure if this was better, worse or the same as the standard part.  Since this is my one and only mechanical breakdown in what is now 45000miles of happy riding, I have followed this thread with interest.  Understandably, after a further 27000 miles since the last spring failure, I am concerned that it is due to fail again, possibly when touring abroad; I'm going to the Picos in Spain at the end of next month.  Can anyone help me by letting me know how I can get hold/buy of one of these superior springs?  I am in the UK.

@PeterT, send a personal message to @Scud, the Keeper of the Supersprings. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, MartyNZ said:

While we are looking at the gearbox selector mechanism, here is a reminder of some collected wisdom about the selector pawl arm and its troublesome spring.Spring.jpg

The spring of my V11 has been broken.  A new one has been placed.  Since then I have problems to shift down in gear. Specialy 4,3 en 2de gear.   The selector pedal comes back to neutral very slow.  Shifting up is not a problem.  Is it possible that a wrong spring has been placed?   What could cause the problem?  

10 hours ago, dowieze said:

The spring of my V11 has been broken.  A new one has been placed.  Since then I have problems to shift down in gear. Specialy 4,3 en 2de gear.   The selector pedal comes back to neutral very slow.  Shifting up is not a problem.  Is it possible that a wrong spring has been placed?   What could cause the problem?  

Be certain the external shift assembly is properly adjusted and the lever does not strike anything (like the Frame Side Plate).

There is another spring (of three) that re-centers the lever. It could need attention, as well. Perhaps, it was installed backward. See Image 7 in the first post of the link below . . .

@Lucky Phil produced this fabulous tutorial:

• Like 2