Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

I'll confirm, but there's certainly nothing going on that implaies corrosion. Went back to the stock footpegs/rearsets and it could just be the way the linkage sits. I've never felt good about the way it adjusts compared to any other bike set up. They all seem to like the arm pretty close to 90 degrees from the shaft/spindle. I'll fuss with it and play around until I can get a nice range of movement with it again. 

• Like 1

Hello, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I would like to buy one of those super springs from you Scud, I have a 2,500 mile trip coming up (Indiana to California) and would like one for piece of mind.

Thanks, Langley

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Biglangster said:

Hello, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I would like to buy one of those super springs from you Scud, I have a 2,500 mile trip coming up (Indiana to California) and would like one for piece of mind.

Thanks, Langley

Let's reach out to @Scud, the  Keeper of the Supersprings.

Welcome @Biglangster !   Is your location Canada, or USA . . . ?

30 minutes ago, docc said:

Let's reach out to @Scud, the  Keeper of the Supersprings.

Welcome @Biglangster !   Is your location Canada, or USA . . . ?

Thanks Docc, I'm in Copperopolis, Ca.

I'm picking up an 03 Lemans in two weeks in Indiana and riding back to California.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

That will be an awesome trip. Take 36 instead of 70. :D

Thats the plan, the ole Pony Express route. Once I hit Utah i'll hit the 15 thru Vegas to Barstow then up 395 to home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biglangster said:

Thats the plan, the ole Pony Express route. Once I hit Utah i'll hit the 15 thru Vegas to Barstow then up 395 to home.

A V11 Fly&Ride! Deserves a thread of its own, @Biglangster. :race:  :pic:  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Once the bolts are removed and access is clear, how does this plate come off? And, does the nut circled in red need to be backed off or …. ? It spins and I assume it’s for adjustment or rotation of bits inside. 

34FD1CC7-96A2-42C3-AA94-6F4FE75DEB64.jpeg

It is glued on with sealer. From memory (:rolleyes:) there are two hollow dowels that locate it. They should be at opposite corners, but I don't remember. :oldgit: A sharp wedge carefully tapped between the mating surfaces at those locations should pop it loose a bit. You can also try two rods that fit in the holes in the cover as levers to wiggle it off.

Assuming you have *all* the screws out, it is easier than it sounds. You are right, the nut is for adjustment, and you can deal with it after you get the cover off.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Removed plate and mechanism and got gears to neutral. Got the rear wheel off the lift and was able to move the shift forks to neutral and then align/reinstall the gearshift selector. Ran through all the gears properly while on the stand. Pulled it off and disassembled completely. Understand how the detents on the top gear function. Will post a couple picture with questions tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

All you need to do is make sure that your selector box is in neutral when you reinstall and shifting forks in trans are lined up 

Thanks! I figured it out through a little trial and error. Appreciate the response. 

• Like 1

Happy to say that with all the great content here in the forum I removed the selector box, disassembled it, marvelled at it's workings, cleaned it, installed the Scud spring, surfaced and polished the pawl arm, put her all back together, put it up on the bench vise, and started walking through the selector positions. Eventually settled on about 1/4" turn adjustment to the eccentric in order to get more throw on upshifts. Seemed like the pawl arm wasn't easily getting all the way ramped and over the selector roller. Reinstalled it dry to the bike and put it back on the garage floor. Rolled it through a few series of up/downs through all the gears. Seemed good enough to follow on with sealant. Hoping for no oil seepage tomorrow. 

One bummer ... the two vertical Allens immediately adjacent the starter (furtherst left on the box) have very weak thread engagement as if they're stripped, which makes no sense. Seems par for the course, though. Will enjoy getting a few rides before the weather turns and then the decision to keep her or not. 

My thanks to those that delved into these issues long ago and took the time to pass on the knowledge. Diving in there was a little initimidating, but once in the midde of it and solving problems, quite enjoyable. 

• Like 4