Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Thankya thankya   :)

Hopefully, what we've collectively learned will work. I'm passing the baton to Scud.

Thanks Chuck for the lesson in springs. I recently moved house and decided to let go of a lot of stuff I had accumulated over the years the most painful of which was my grandfathers American Machinists handbook, the addition I cant remember but from the 50's I believe. Seeing you refer to it made me regret the decision even more.

Ciao 

Damn, I just found this thread, and I'm completely overwhelmed! Very cool of you guys to figure this out and build some springs! 

What happens from here if they work out perfectly in the real world for testing? Will Chuck build more, or will you place an order with a spring company? Either way, I'll gladly pay a good amount for one of these springs for my bike!

Ken

Damn, I just found this thread, and I'm completely overwhelmed! Very cool of you guys to figure this out and build some springs! 

What happens from here if they work out perfectly in the real world for testing? Will Chuck build more, or will you place an order with a spring company? Either way, I'll gladly pay a good amount for one of these springs for my bike!

Ken

Well, the next thing to do is I'll make up a couple to send to Scud for "real world" testing to make sure they'll work in the bike. He said early on, though, that he didn't want to be a spring purveyor.. and I don't blame him. I spent a *lot* of time doing paperwork on the Lucky Phil shifter extenders. Out of country is the worst with having to fill out customs declarations in triplicate, taking them to the post office, and waiting while they fill out customs declarations in triplicate. (!) He mentioned maybe having MG cycle stock them.. but I don't know if they ship over seas.

It's still too early to worry about that, though. We'll have to wait until Scud gives the yeah or meh.  

ps, if we order 20,000 we can get them for $.09 each.  :whistle:

sorry, I shouda mentioned that I replaced it with a 15mm. The other bike, I filed down to 14.9mm while waiting for the new arm. It can be filed with a good file and some patience (time). As I've mentioned, I've had two '02 LM's and they both had the 16+mm boss. This could still create problems for those using the new spring, if it's not changed out.

That would probably be 19950..  :rasta:

I was trying to be optimistic.

But back to the distribution model. If someone wants to set up an ebay store and sell these things I believe ebay can help manage the shipping and customs. I think it would mostly be putting them in a bag and getting them picked up.

50 of them at $1 ea to get them made and sell for $5 would almost make it worth the effort. Stock ("updated") spring from Moto International is $1.84. Who wouldn't pay $5 for a spring that didn't break?  :oldgit:

You do know the next thing we're going to ask you to make, Chuck...  :notworthy:

original-17-17-bail-for-v11-side-stand.j

• Like 2

fwiw to me... the stock spring is worth $Zero.00   If I had not already "potentially" permanently fixed my own spring, I would likely pay whatever it cost for a ScudChuck spring. I want to buy one anyway, to contribute to a very worthy cause... and, so I will own one :)

50 for $50 is very optimistic. :rolleyes:  

:notworthy::luigi:

50 for $50 is very optimistic.  :rolleyes:  

Uhh, yeah. Early on in this project, I think Scud was talking around $300 to get 25 made. I'm guessing the world demand is somewhere between 50-100.   :) There's not a lot of money to be made on Guzzi parts.. MGCycle wants $8.63 for it.