Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Yep. Doohicky.  :) I just thought it interesting that they get better performance with a torsion spring compared to the coil spring.

If you need any money up front, just say the word. 

Yep, I'll chip in too if needed  :thumbsup:

Ciao

So. How are you going to work out the shipping? That's the real PITA on this job.

I'm gonna lose money on each one, but I'll make it up in volume.

Seriously, I plan to buy some small boxes or padded envelopes that I can just mail with standard postage. Several people have offered to take batches of springs and distribute them to clusters of V11 aficionados in exotic locales. The production cost went down to $2.15 per spring (plus shipping) when we changed to the thinner wire and increased the order to 150 units.  I'm gonna stick $1.00 per spring on the cost for a forum donation (in Chuck's name) and maybe another buck for beer. All-in, it should be less than $10 for one spring shipped within the US.

• Like 6

So. How are you going to work out the shipping? That's the real PITA on this job.

You can ship me a batch scud if you like which I'll pay for up front for to ease the shipping hassle and I can distribute from here to Aussies that want them.

Ciao

• Like 1

wow... shit missed this thread by ohhhh 21 pages...

ill try and catch up soon, but in the mean time did we figger out why its only the last of the V11's that break springs???

seems ya beg about 30k to a spring im on my 3rd now... why not just use a spring from an early 6spd ???

ill try and catch up soon, but in the mean time did we figger out why its only the last of the V11's that break springs???

seems ya beg about 30k to a spring im on my 3rd now... why not just use a spring from an early 6spd ???

I say 16mm boss. But that might not be the whole story.

No apparent reason, but the spring is supposedly the same in all models - at least the replacement spring is.  I'm gonna open up my low-mile Greenie, which I believe has the original spring - and will report findings. But that'll be after the new springs show up.

Go open 3 beers - I think you can get through 7 pages per beer. 

It sure would be fun to have a look at an early preselector and pawl spring.. I didn't realize they never broke.

When the new springs come in, I'll put one in the greenie and take a closer look. While the majority of the transmission is the same for the whole V11 series, I have personally seen 4 variations in the pre-selector:

• 2000 Red-Frame (my Greenie) - the preselector gears are cut-through in places and have teeth only about 270 degrees.
  • 2002 First year of black frame (my Scura) - the preselector gears are solid and have 360-degree gears (many of which never get engaged). this one had the too-large boss, which caused spring-binding
  • 2003 with internal fuel pump (my red LeMans) - same as the 2002, but now with smaller boss. Also has the second eccentric adjuster, where the earlier models had only fixed pins.
  • 2004 (a spare tranny from a parted Nero Corsa that mysteriously arrived at my house one day) - this preselector was the same as the 2003, but added the "banana" reinforcement plate. I installed this one on the LeMans, which is off enjoying Arizona with her new owner.

So... with all those changes, Moto Guzzi must have been trying to solve some sort of problem. Has Chuck finally solved it? Only time and aggressive shifting will tell. I'm trying to do my part.

My 2001 sport has the 270 degree teeth, and had the large 16mm boss until I ground it down to just under 15mm.