Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

This drifting of this thread ties in with the horror story Pete Roper is telling over on WildGuzzi & Grisoghetto. Broken parts lost in the engine, frozen camshafts & trashed flat tappets.

Not for the squimish

You know the topic has spun out of control when we are looking at too many KLR pictures...

You know I think this was an "engineering" topic as much as anything that has now taken on a extra philosophical element which I kind of enjoy:)

Some of the best threads end up this way. You learn about the engineering and get the life lessons for free.

Ciao

• Like 4

You know the topic has spun out of control when we are looking at too many KLR pictures...

You know I think this was an "engineering" topic as much as anything that has now taken on a extra philosophical element which I kind of enjoy:)

Some of the best threads end up this way. You learn about the engineering and get the life lessons for free.

Ciao

I'm enjoying the philosophy too.  But ya gotta admit... this is expert-level thread-drift.

• Like 1

Shouldn't the upper eye of the conrod be round? Is it all the same on Jap bikes? How come it's came that long?

Pretty good eye. It's .003" out.

Thanks. Obviously more a matter of screen distortion then :)

Shouldn't the upper eye of the conrod be round? Is it all the same on Jap bikes? How come it's came that long?

Pretty good eye. It's .003" out.

Thanks. Obviously more a matter of screen distortion then :)

:) Yeah. It looks strange in the picture..

I think there will be plenty of springs to go around - and we can always have another batch made. I suppose they should be arriving next week or so.

I'd like to have one to put on the test bench..  :whistle:

Well, it's only QC. What do we have? Is it to spec, etc. 

"[springs]. Why did it have to be [springs]?"

> "[shift Springs]. Very dangerous. You go first . .  ."