Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Next batch of springs arrived. First glance says they are better. But I'm loading dirt bikes for the desert right now. Measurement, test-install, and other details next week.

• Like 3

Yup, ride more, wrench less. This weekend I will be chasing some excellent riders through the Anza Borrego Desert. It's sad how few miles my Husky got used in the last year. Probably about 350 miles of dirt this weekend.

• Like 2

Looks like we are *almost* there.

The measurements check out. My random sample yeilds:

• Coil ID ranges from 0.665 inches to less than 0.677 inches (spec is 0.66 minimum)
  • Long and short arm lengths are very close to specs on Chuck's drawing
  • The angle of the short arm ranges from 21 to 25 degrees. Spec is 15 degrees, but this is closer to spec than the first batch (many over 30 degrees), and seems to be acceptable. The springs are going to "relax" a bit after being installed anyway.

And here's the reason for the *almost*

The right angle tab from the short arm is too long. This is the part that rests on the "shoulder" of the stamped steel piece. The spec is 0.24" but some are over .40". This causes interference with another spring when everything is installed. The solution seems simple enough (though a bit tedious). I just need to cut the tabs down to length. The spring steel is quite hard though, so I think maybe a cut-off wheel is needed - or a special cutter, like a mini bolt-cutter. I have to use both hands to cut the springs with a standard wire cutter.

So... once I chop off 100 or so little bits we should be good to go.

• Like 2

The right angle tab from the short arm is too long. This is the part that rests on the "shoulder" of the stamped steel piece. The spec is 0.24" but some are over .04". This causes interference with another spring when everything is installed. The solution seems simple enough (though a bit tedious). I just need to cut the tabs down to length. The spring steel is quite hard though, so I think maybe a cut-off wheel is needed - or a special cutter, like a mini bolt-cutter. I have to use both hands to cut the springs with a standard wire cutter.

I can cut the excess off all the springs for the NZ consignment, just to save you some work.

Can you PM me to let me know how much money you want?

Like the other offers made here, I hope I can take a share of your costs, so you are not left with having spent lots of money for a big pile of springs.

The right angle tab from the short arm is too long. This is the part that rests on the "shoulder" of the stamped steel piece. The spec is 0.24" but some are over .04". This causes interference with another spring when everything is installed. The solution seems simple enough (though a bit tedious). I just need to cut the tabs down to length. The spring steel is quite hard though, so I think maybe a cut-off wheel is needed - or a special cutter, like a mini bolt-cutter. I have to use both hands to cut the springs with a standard wire cutter.

That's a tedious job; I'm sure any of the members who have the skills to instal one of the springs have the ability to cut them down to length. I wouldn't add to your workload.

Boltcutters are an imprecise tool, I'd fashion a small wooden block with a groove for the spring to locate in, making the thickness of the block act as the guide for a dremel cutoff blade.

I'll take 2, when you're ready.

• Like 1

Unbelievable.

I just use a die grinder and a fiber wheel to cut that stuff. If you have Tim's Dremel with their cute little cutoff wheel, that would make short work of it, too. 

Yeah, grumble about the bit being too long (but that's better than too short).  However, there's no way I'm sending out any springs that cannot be installed as-is. While I appreciate the offers of help, It should go very fast once I get I get a guide set up. I'll drop by the hardware store and get some Dremel cut-off wheels.

At long last, here are the ordering details:

Springs:  $10.00 each

Shipping via USPS to:

• USA:  $5.00
  • Canada: $10.00
  • Australia/NZ:  $15.00
  • Europe:  $15.00
  • Other places: I didn't get prices, but let's assume $15.00 and I'll let you know if that's not enough.

Payment Methods:

• PayPal - use scudder.tim(at)gmail(dot)com    Please pay as a friend to avoid fees.
  • Check - send me a PM and I will give you my address.

However you pay, please give me your full shipping address with payment (even if you think I might already have it) and tell me how many springs you want.

As for finances, I've spent close to $600 so far. I should be able to recover that pretty soon. If all the springs sell, I'll have money leftover for a forum donation, a gift for Chuck (who keeps refusing to take any money) and maybe even a tire for the Scura.

• Like 7