Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

For NZ people, I have 4 firm orders from this forum members, and 5 orders from more normal Kiwis.

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:

• Like 1

In 4 more hours, the production UPS (Unbreakable Pawl Spring) will have shifted 1,022,400 times. It will easily do it. I think it would do another million.. :rasta: At any rate, I'm going to stop the test.

Click on the pitcher for a short video of it in operation.

38937954350_d8efbc960c_c.jpgVID_20180311_112503230 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

• Like 3

As MartyNZ said:

The "Super-Spring." :grin:

Glad to hear as my third spring I just replaced showed signs of wear at the little tail end.

New ScudChuckPhil pre-selector is ready for business! Only took two tries. Somehow I bumped the trans into first, I only found out after re-assembly. Should be good now. Bench tests seemed good.

Thanks for putting the effort into following through on this.  There really are just a few straggling issues with the good old V11 models after all of these years, and this was one of them.  Hopefully this puts this worry to bed once and for all.

• Like 1

In 4 more hours, the production UPS (Unbreakable Pawl Spring) will have shifted 1,022,400 times. It will easily do it. I think it would do another million.. :rasta: At any rate, I'm going to stop the test.

Click on the pitcher for a short video of it in operation.

38937954350_d8efbc960c_c.jpgVID_20180311_112503230 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

You mean your're going to stop before 1,000,000 cycles Chuck? Say it isnt so.

Ciao

No, it went well over 1 million cycles. We went out to a brewpub for beer and dinner. By the time we got home that night, it was over the 1,022,400 by roughly 25000 cycles.  :)  I think we can put this problem to rest..

• Like 2

No, it went well over 1 million cycles. We went out to a brewpub for beer and dinner. By the time we got home that night, it was over the 1,022,400 by roughly 25000 cycles.  :)  I think we can put this problem to rest..

Oh good. My wife has changed me after a trip to New York. We walked over the Brooklyn Bridge and got to within about 100 yards of the other side and that was close enough for me. It wasnt close enough for her though and we walked the extra 100. Now I cant finish anything just short of a round number either. 

Ciao 

Received my spring, thanks Scud!  I now have two parts for Italian bikes that I don't own, this shift pawl spring and a NOS mid-'70s Ducati twin heel/toe shift pedal;

OaVeSvu.jpg

Both industrial works of art!

• Like 1

Industrial art, indeed! :thumbsup:

It has been widely reported that keeping a spare (talisman) shift spring in the tank bag , or worn around the neck, has effectively warded off broken springs.

A box of Super-Springs in the Tekno ought to extend an element of sanctuary to an entire SpineRaid!

IMG_4585.jpg

• Like 3

That *might* be overkill, Docc..  :huh2:  :)

Always looking after my SpineRaid brethren . . . :luigi:

In this one fell-stroke, y'all may have cast a worldwide talisman over the entire V11 community . . .

• Like 1