Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Well that didn't take long... spring broke last night.  Rode home in 1st gear about 6 miles.  She got a little hot  :(

I bookmarked the threads covering replacement, so I'll probably get into that this weekend.

:grin:  Now you know why they are called "she." She saw you perusing the shift spring thread and thought, "Hmmmph. I'll show him who's boss." 

• Like 1

For entertainment and research purposes, perhaps you could post a pic of the broken spring, so we can see where it broke. 

Nice that it happened so close to home.

Well that didn't take long... spring broke last night.  Rode home in 1st gear about 6 miles.  She got a little hot  :(

I bookmarked the threads covering replacement, so I'll probably get into that this weekend.

Which spring broke the Guzzi original or Chucks beautiful re engineered one.

Ciao 

• 2 weeks later...

After being caught in 3rd gear on my 2004 Cafe Sport I pulled the gearbox side cover. Yep spring broken. Pulled it apart to measure the shaft the spring sits on. Expected it to be the troublesome 16mill issue. Nope measured it and it was 15.1. Anyway put a new spring and hope it lasts another 15 years. Fingers crossed.

After being caught in 3rd gear on my 2004 Cafe Sport I pulled the gearbox side cover. Yep spring broken. Pulled it apart to measure the shaft the spring sits on. Expected it to be the troublesome 16mill issue. Nope measured it and it was 15.1. Anyway put a new spring and hope it lasts another 15 years. Fingers crossed.

I could have sent you one of Chucks springs. Anyone out there that has a broken spring let me know I can send you one as I have spares generously donated from from scudd.

Ciao 

• 4 months later...

Update... I'm down to two springs available for sale. I'm keeping one with Chuck's engineering diagram in case we need to make another batch someday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scud said:

Update... I'm down to two springs available for sale. I'm keeping one with Chuck's engineering diagram in case we need to make another batch someday.

Wow. I'm surprised at that. Did Ron K get his? We talked at the Virginia rally, and he said he'd get with you..

8 hours ago, Mikko said:

I’d like one.. have no idea what’s in mine, but I’ll replace it with this upgrade just the same

I have three of the original prototypes that I hand made if Scud is out.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, Chuck said:

Wow. I'm surprised at that. Did Ron K get his? We talked at the Virginia rally, and he said he'd get with you..

Ron is all set.

I'm kind of surprised too. I thought I'd be living with a bag of springs for a while longer.

• Haha 1

Approximately 150. That means 150 V11 owners can ride with more confidence, knowing that the proverbial Achille's Heel has been strengthened. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...