Scud

ANSWERED Re-engineering the Shift Spring

1 hour ago, Motormike said:

Yes, I've spent more time on Wildguzzi than here in the past.  Now that I'm retired and have more leisure time, that should change.  Which begs the question: if a new run of springs is made, what would be the method of notification?  Just have to check back here from time to time?

If *I* make them, I'll make as many as are spoken for. It's not like I set up a spring winder and run a batch.. it's all by hand. Paging Mr. Scudder.. Mr. Scudder to the courtesy phone, please.. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chuck said:

If *I* make them, I'll make as many as are spoken for. It's not like I set up a spring winder and run a batch.. it's all by hand. Paging Mr. Scudder.. Mr. Scudder to the courtesy phone, please.. :)

Hey Chuck,     I know time is precious, it's going to be a long winter, plenty of time for things to fall into place, if it's meant to be.

Hopefully Scud is able to get the spring shop to run another batch off & if he's sick of boxing and mailing, perhaps there is someone close to him that may consider taking that over.

I could forward some cash for beer & pizza, if someone wanted to throw an improved spring boxing/mailing party,lol. 

I can appreciate that all the little details required for something like this to float are a pita.

If reengineered spring part 2 takes place, great, if not; I'll make sure I have a couple on hand from MGCycle by springtime.

Thanks for your expertise and time that you've already invested in this; this 42 page thread is a testament to you,Scud & others that make this guzzi world, a special one.

Kelly

If all other sources fall through, I do live near Renton Coil Spring, which does race car and aerospace stuff - being right next to Boeing. Browsing their site might bring a tear to any machinists, metalurgists or other cutting oil and metal shaving-covered types out there. Would not be cheap, but other than carrying spares and installing the shift cover with Dzus fasteners for roadside repairs, what's a bloke to do?  Also know of a fellow who has a certain shop make batches of gun springs for him.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, po18guy said:

I will attempt to keep tally of how many are wanted. I will gladly pay in advance.

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

Yeah of course I will pay ahead too. 

I take another two from this run, if it happens.....

On 11/22/2019 at 11:04 AM, po18guy said:

I will attempt to keep tally of how many are wanted. I will gladly pay in advance.

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

10. JBBenson (2)

11. Kevin_T (3)

Post updated.

If you could add another person, I would like 3 springs.

Done

Howdy boys... I'll commit to running another batch of springs. Been busy with work lately - lots of travel. But I can get another batch ordered.

BTW - I'm gonna need some help with electrickecy soon. My Scura's been parked too long. 

But today, I'm up in Morro Bay near the start of the Big Sur coastline. Waves are supposed to be 25 feet by Piedras Blanca on Big Sur. Me and Husky 701 are going to brave the wet, rocky, muddy stuff to inspect.

Happy Thanksgiving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scud said:

Howdy boys... I'll commit to running another batch of springs. Been busy with work lately - lots of travel. But I can get another batch ordered.

BTW - I'm gonna need some help with electrickecy soon. My Scura's been parked too long. 

But today, I'm up in Morro Bay near the start of the Big Sur coastline. Waves are supposed to be 25 feet by Piedras Blanca on Big Sur. Me and Husky 701 are going to brave the wet, rocky, muddy stuff to inspect.

Happy Thanksgiving.

good to see yer words sir. A couple Husky pics for the vicarious please.

I took the MZ to Moro bay, and rode the coast down last spring. Awesome trip.👍

I got a price quote in today for another batch of springs - from the same company I used before.

But I wasn't totally happy with them (as detailed somewhere back in this enormous thread).  So I'm also going to check with a local manufacturer.

We'll get a batch on order soon and be back in business.

^^and to Footgoose's picture request, I posted a few in the Adventure Bikes thread.

FYI - Chuck's engineering diagram is posted in this thread so that the design specs are available for anyone who is motivated enough to have a batch produced. Neither Chuck nor I are trying to claim ownership or exclusive rights to this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going to contact the local aerospace spring maker (they do motorsports) and see how many and how much. They are big on Ti,but will do any and all usual spring steels. I have an  NOS Guzzi spring, but I understand that the improved spring has three coils rather than two, and a different diameter wire? 

The drawing is on page 29. Almost 2 coils, .071" diameter wire. 

• Like 1

Perfect! I attached the drawing to an email sent to the motorsports division manager at Renton Coil Spring. We shall see.

• Like 1