Re-engineering the Shift Spring

On 12/3/2019 at 11:07 AM, po18guy said:

I am going to contact the local aerospace spring maker (they do motorsports) and see how many and how much. They are big on Ti,but will do any and all usual spring steels. I have an  NOS Guzzi spring, but I understand that the improved spring has three coils rather than two, and a different diameter wire? 

Here is the reply I received:

Thanks for the email.

We don’t have minimums, but the price per part decreases as you quantities increase.

It looks like the original is made from music wire.  We’d probably look at using a 17-7 stainless material.

Here are a few additional questions before we get started…

Quantities?

Where are the stock parts failing?

FYI, we’re a high end spring manufacturer (primarily using exotic materials such as titanium, UPG10, and X3) so we’re not the cheapest out there.

Also, our lead times are currently in the 36 week range.

Best regards-

Kyle

KYLE CABAYA

Motorsport Manager

RENTON COIL SPRING CO. INC.

LOCATION: 425 S. 7th St. | MAIL: PO Box 880 | Renton, WA 98057

P: 425.255.1453 x225 | F: 425.228.0780 | M: 425.922.4250

www.rentoncoilspring.com

REVAMPED-BANNER-5.3.png

As to lead time, I guess they are busy helping Boeing fix those 737 Maxes that have been crashing...

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just talked with the guys at the spring company. It seems their manufacturing tolerances are not quite as tight as Chuck's experience. However, we have sorted it out and they are making a new batch of

Yeah, grumble about the bit being too long (but that's better than too short).  However, there's no way I'm sending out any springs that cannot be installed as-is. While I appreciate the offers of hel

Anywhere someone is allowed to express their opinion. While we think of this as detrimental it's actually a key component of crowdsourcing. If you get enough people expressing their perspective you wi

Posted Images

Follow up email states that he's working on a quote. I told him possibly 100 springs. CRAP! How am I gonna pay for those!!!

I'll be interested to see the price quote - but a 36 week lead time doesn't seem like a good idea. The place I used before gave me a price quote that I can afford.

No response yet from my potential second source.

I have not heard of a single problem with the new springs, so I think a re-order from the same place will probably be OK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, my effort is only a backup. I could see most commercial spring makers wanting a 1,000 order or similar. wonder if Harper's or MG would have interest in stocking what we don't buy up? Not even the EU or UN could get Madello del Lario interested...

OK... brace yourselves:

"We looked at designs in 17-7 and also beta-c titanium.  Using titanium will reduce the torque by about 40%.

Here is what we came up with…

STAINLESS 17-7

QTY 50 @ $65.00 each

QTY 100@ $41.25 each

QTY 150 @ $33.75 each

QTY 200 @ $30.00 each

+$1000 non-recurring charge for tooling

Beta-C Titanium

QTY 50 @ $85.00 each

QTY 100@ $68.50 each

QTY 150 @ $64.75 each

QTY 200 @ $62.75 each

+$1500 non-recurring charge for tooling

Quoted lead time is 40 weeks from receipt of a purchase order.

Wow... I was selling them for $10 each to do a bit better than break even. Thanks for posting the quote - I'll go ahead and get my order placed this week.

• Thanks 1
On 12/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, Scud said:

Wow... I was selling them for $10 each to do a bit better than break even. Thanks for posting the quote - I'll go ahead and get my order placed this week.

Can I still get in on this? If so, I'd take 2.

Already had the spring fail but fixed it with the updated version & have had no issues to date. However, a little insurance never hurts. :lol:

Update:

1. po18guy (2) springs.

2. Flooky  (2) springs

3. Stumble_t (2)

4. PhillipLarsen (2)

5. MGrego (2)

6. 80CX100 (2)

7. Bob Maynard (2)

8. BelAir63 (2)

9. Motormike (2)

10. JBBenson (2)

11. Kevin_T (3)

12. ObdewlaX (2)

Total as of this date: 25 springs.

I just saw the tooling cost from Renton Coil Springs. Wowzers!

2 hours ago, LowRyter said:

If it helps the costs, I can purchase another.   I still have the last one in my tankbag.

Let's see what Scud has to say about it. I'll wait, since 1) I do not have immediate need and 2) I'm not enthralled with the $200 +/- cost of Aerospace Ti, or even $165 for 17-7 Stainless.

After riding an impressive 2 blocks before it began to pour, all I can say is "Hurry Spring!" - the season and the shift component.

11 hours ago, po18guy said:

Let's see what Scud has to say about it. I'll wait, since 1) I do not have immediate need and 2) I'm not enthralled with the $200 +/- cost of Aerospace Ti, or even $165 for 17-7 Stainless.

After riding an impressive 2 blocks before it began to pour, all I can say is "Hurry Spring!" - the season and the shift component.

wait.  $200 for EACH spring?  I guess I wasn't paying attention.  If true, please scratch me from the list. 

18 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

wait.  $200 for EACH spring?  I guess I wasn't paying attention.  If true, please scratch me from the list. 

Airplane springs. :rasta: Add airplane to anything and the price goes up by a factor of 10. Or more..:oldgit: Not always though. Some tools, hareware etc. are cheaper to buy from Aircraft Spruce than you can get at the local hardware or McMaster Carr.

• Like 1

Yeah. I don’t really need another two springs, I still have one as a spare. I just wanted to help defray costs for others who don’t have them.

If they are really 200/per, please take me out.  I guess wasn’t paying attention either. 

• Like 1

Not sure it is my place to clarify, but . . .

Chuck's design, built by Scud's choice of spring maker, was not "$200." That is the recent quote po18guy got from an aircraft supplier in the PNW/USA.  That looks (to me) to be a "go away price." :angry2:

Whether Scud chooses to use the last spring maker (took them twice to get it right) or another, IDK.

But, AFAIK, the $200/spring maker in the PNW is not the route of choice.

Check my work, and correct me if I am wrong. Just hoping to quell the confusion. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The springs were $10 each last time. I'm going to try to talk to spring maker again Monday to see if I feel confident about getting the order correct the first time. The price will probably go up a little - and so will the shipping cost. I'll buy the springs and give y'all the order details as soon as I have a firm price, quantity, and date. I don't need any "charity" buys. Just buy what you need and I'll probably end up with a stash of extras. 

I might even attempt to barter a few springs with MG Cycle or AF1Racing.

• Thanks 2