Breather hose

pille

My breather hose is broken! So I pulled it of and ordered a new one. What is the correct way to put him on? Should the piece with the long neck be on the engine side or otherwise? Both ways seem to work. Ciao pille

...from a guy with recent first (and oily) hand experience. 

A parts manual is really helpful for reference with questions like this. You can download from this site or use Harper's online diagrams.

I've got oil residue around the right side cover around the airbox boot. Does that indicate it's the breather hose?   I guess I'll inspect it when I do my winter maintenance.  I plan to take off the gas tank to install the new fuel line anyway.   

I couldn't find the breather hose on Harper's - does anyone know the part number or can cite right page from parts manual?

Yeah. You wouldn't think there would be this much oil in the breather system, but there is. When I arrived at the Wisconsin rally this summer, I saw my friend Chris from Texas with the tank off his Norge. Grabbed a beer (it *is* Wisconsin after all) and walked over to see if I could get in the way.  :) He'd lost 2 quarts (!) and feared the worst. His breather hose was just loose on the air box.

Thank you guys for the advice!! It was a very oily experience on the highway!! Unbelievable! As if I was driving a steam train!

I had this with an old LM2, when the oil-line to the rockers started to leak at the ring of Antwerp. My friends refer to it as "The Minardi Incicdent"

https://youtu.be/td7uQYq20SQ?t=15s

2003_mrds_17.jpg

• Like 1

Coincidentally, I just received the breather hose I ordered more than a month ago today.  My heater hose substitute has worked just fine in the interim and nearly 1000 miles.

Here's a pix of it.  The right hand side (short sharp 90 degree bend) goes to the motor.  The left side (longer 60 degree bend) goes to the frame.

breather.jpg

• Like 1

Do these bikes ever have a major failure of the oil line to the heads? I would hope the braided steel line would start to leak slowly rather than just let go. Then you could fix it at home rather than on the road.