Breather hose

pille

It's much easier if you remove one of the coils.  I removed the right coil and then had good access.  It doesn't really matter which way the hose goes.  But the way I described matched my old one and keeps the hose more out of the way from other stuff under there.

When you install the hose , use Sil-Glyde you can purchase at any NAPA store to help the hose slide on easily . Take time on how you index the hose clamps when you tighten them . This will aid you the next time you R & R .

I've looked at that parts diagram picture 1000 times.  I still can't tell from the pix which end goes where.  I can tell you that from the state of the hose that blew off originally, I'm pretty sure it had been there unmolested since 2002.  On that hose, the short 90 bend was on the motor.

That said, I can see how mounting it the other way would keep the hose closer to the frame.  But my bike is an external fuel pump model, and to me it looked like the hose needed to run along the engine until the filter was cleared, then go up.  Maybe on internal pump bikes it goes the other way.

• Like 2

Maybe the hose is broken so often because they are wrongly put on? This is my third hose in 15 years! The second was becoming very soft and even thicker than original! Like the hose is put on now there should be a natural reflow when I stop the bike! Ok or not?

That diagram is for a 2002 model, which has an external pump. It's the same hose for all models - even the red frame. 

Maybe some heat shield on the breather hose would be a good idea. It's pretty thin rubber and not heavily reinforced (like a fuel injection line would be).

I had a hose fail a few years back and when I removed it I was surprised at how soft it had become and how much it had enlarged.  I went through my receipts but I'm not sure which vendor I bought it from.  It was less than 5 years old.

Here's the new hose next to the failed one:

oil breather hoses 2.jpg

Coincidentally, I just received the breather hose I ordered more than a month ago today.  My heater hose substitute has worked just fine in the interim and nearly 1000 miles.

Here's a pix of it.  The right hand side (short sharp 90 degree bend) goes to the motor.  The left side (longer 60 degree bend) goes to the frame.

breather.jpg

I do not think that is quite right.  One way puts the flat section in the V of the motor.  The other puts the angled section down the spine.  

The parts manual shows the flat section at the the top with the angled side toward the bottom.  Having done it both ways it definitely fits best in this orientation.

Either seem to work however.  I had the joy of doing it twice. lol.

• Like 1

I had a hose fail a few years back and when I removed it I was surprised at how soft it had become and how much it had enlarged.  I went through my receipts but I'm not sure which vendor I bought it from.  It was less than 5 years old.

Here's the new hose next to the failed one:

Are you sure that the failed part was an original one?

My failed hose was not original.  I replaced the original when it was about 10 years old because I had the bike apart so I thought I might as well replace that hose before it failed. As you can see the replacement expanded and got very soft from the crankcase fumes.  I assume whoever made it used the wrong material for the job.