My brothers 1972 Ducati 750GT needs rebuild.

68C

Not a Guzzi but an old cousin.

It all started in 1972 when I was in the army in Germany, I bought a new 750 Commando tax free and bragged to my brother also in the army in Malta. He wrote back with a photo of his new 1972 Ducati 750GT he had just picked up in Italy, also tax free!

45 years later, after his divorce, remarry, house moves etc he phones up asking about his Ducati engine he left with me for safe keeping in 1995.

OK I still have the motor but note both L and R main primary and timing covers are damaged. I would like to suprise him by rebuilding the motor. Hardly any round case 750 parts on Ebay. Any ideas where I might get them?

That is an extraordinary m/cycle . You are going to find a hard X finding those kind of parts.  How much danage is done to the covers ? 

I would Google to see if anyone repairs aluminum or magnesium parts like these .

Very knowledgeable, but not the most accessible discussion group.

Not like V11ers? Who'll adjust your valves, feed your dog, and share their beers? hm . . . ;)

There are two things that you can be assured of, one: the parts will be stunningly expensive, and two: paying someone to rebuild the engine will be stunningly expensive.

Like your wallet will be crying expensive. If I had the money and was in your position I'd do it for my brother. Or buy him a house. Same cost.

Try Gowanlochs in Sydney Australia. The only thing that you will need to have someone else do is the crank rebuild, the rest is doable by a capable home mechanic that isnt a knuckle dragger. The crank not only requires a 20 ton press but also some technique in getting it to run true after the big end pin and bearing replacement. Yes parts are very expensive:(

I've owned a GT from that era, mine was a 71 I believe and had an engine number ending in 907 from memory, so an early one with the sharply bent kickstarter, Scarab brakes, fibreglass fuel tank and side covers etc. 

Its all about shimming on these engines, crank,gearbox shafts and bevel gears. I also know a guy that does a very good plain bearing big end conversion on these engines so if you dont mind spending a dollar let me know and I'll give you contact details.

Ciao 

Thanks for the rapid response all. Did not realise the rarity of these earlier Dukes. I think I will have to sit down with my bro and talk it over. Engine is in bits in a box for at least the last 25 years, he kept the bike running until then on a shoestring so expect major work needed. No notes taken so shimming data lost. Perhaps the damaged cases are the least of it. I recall he dropped it a few times and the footrests damaged the cases, they were welded up to stop leaks but not pretty. Still there cannot be many one owner bikes like that around so he may be better advised to sell as a basket case. Thanks again.

The 750GT is the least expensive of the round cases, and they are still expensive. The worse scenario is to have and 860GT, the least desirable of the bevel twins. They aren't worth much (relatively) and cost as much to fix up as their vastly more expensive 900SS brethren because they share so many parts.

#dontaskmehowiknow

You might want to sit down after seeing the asking price on this bike:

http://www.bevelheaven.com/bikes4sale/BH-1972-750GT/index.htm

And no, your Commando didn't appreciate at the same rate.

#alsodontaskmehowiknow

38160393794_642ab6f792_b.jpg

• Like 1

I said his Duke 750GT is in bits. Sadly my Commando not much better, now undergoing the 'Great British Winter Rebuild' that normally lasts at least ten winters. Trouble is when a bike breaks I tend to get something else but don't sell the old bike so end up with a shed full of bikes in bits. Not so much a collecter as a hoarder. Still those future barn finds have to hide somewhere.

I said his Duke 750GT is in bits. Sadly my Commando not much better, now undergoing the 'Great British Winter Rebuild' that normally lasts at least ten winters. Trouble is when a bike breaks I tend to get something else but don't sell the old bike so end up with a shed full of bikes in bits. Not so much a collecter as a hoarder. Still those future barn finds have to hide somewhere.

Even in pieces it will be worth a substantial amount.

If you're not over there already AccessNorton.com is an awesome resource for us Commando owners.

It isn't going to change anything but , how did these cases get busted up ?

At the time my brother was a twenty year old Royal Engineer attached to 42 Commando in Malta, he did the whole Green Beret thing in Plymouth. (As an aside, he tells me he was instructed to tell any American who asked what the RM shoulder badges meant that he was to reply "Real Marine" and to stand his ground). It seems getting drunk and riding too fast at the local airstrip did not go together too well, the side cases suffered when the footrests dug into them. He had them welded up over there but now corrosion is opening up the old welds. We think we will build what we can and then rethink, we are both retired now so funds not huge.

• Like 1

It isn't going to change anything but , how did these cases get busted up ?

At the time my brother was a twenty year old Royal Engineer attached to 42 Commando in Malta, he did the whole Green Beret thing in Plymouth. (As an aside, he tells me he was instructed to tell any American who asked what the RM shoulder badges meant that he was to reply "Real Marine" and to stand his ground). It seems getting drunk and riding too fast at the local airstrip did not go together too well, the side cases suffered when the footrests dug into them. He had them welded up over there but now corrosion is opening up the old welds. We think we will build what we can and then rethink, we are both retired now so funds not huge.

Oh, yeah, those things we grow out of if we live long enough. Crashing Ducatis on air strips :race: ,    poking Marines with a stick  .   .   .   :blink:

• Like 1