It's Time! Service your battery terminals!

Kiwi_Roy

It's time! . . . to clean your battery terminals and apply a little grease.

Anyone who knows me is sick of me going on about the importance of greasing the battery terminals. thewife.gif

While your bike is parked for the winter the lead oxide is silently creeping in between the terminal and lug ready to make you think the battery is toast when you go to start next spring.
Scrape the terminals now and apply some Vaseline give it a top up charge at the end of January and next spring thats what it will do, spring into life.

• Like 5

Roy,

I'm going to ask a naive question because well I'm naive.

Should I scrape the terminals, apply vaseline & then reconnect the wires. Or scrape terminals, reconnect the wires & the apply vaseline ? My thought is that the vaseline is an insulator.

Thanks

Innocent of Columbus

The idea is to keep the Oxygen from the lead, I always apply the Vaseline first how I was taught 50 years ago. Yes any grease is an insulator but it squeezes out of the contact points, fills in the air space and prevents oxidation or other forms of corrosion.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1

This is such great method.

And learn how to keep your AGM *conditioned* . Batteries like 'exercise' = discharge/*charge* (for the AGM: use adequate amperage/voltage)

When the AGM reaches 12.65v, ->discharge

**trickle-ye-not** :oldgit:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18838&p=208786

• Like 1