Sealing oil leak from outside?

belfastguzzi

After 22,000 miles my bike is now oozing a tiny bit of oil in this area and I'm going to try the non-invasive repair this week. I just hope I can get the surface clean enough for the 'sensor safe' gasket cement to adhere.

55667[/snapback]

I was losing not a little, but a lot of oil from the joint. The surface repair worked fine and is still as good as ever today. With black over the top, you wouldn't know that it's there. There is a photo of the blue instant gasket repair in the above post – maybe you can see it. With the server problem (?), I'm not getting some of the pictures or avatars & smilies, so the photo doesn't appear for me.

I don't know what 'sensor safe' is but i didn't have any adhesion problems after a straight forward clean-up.

There was another thread at the time, I wonder what it was called?

Guest Nogbad

The British bike industry was simply before its time. If only Triumph, Norton and the others had waited for Dow Corning to invent silicone rubber (another superb American invention I might add) everything would have been fine, and Honda would never have won!

Hylomar should be applied with a paintbrush, one about 3/8" dia. Cut the bristles so that they're about 1/2 inch long, squeeze a wee bit onto the brush[like toothpaste] and stipple it onto the mating face.When it goes fluffy, it's right. Needless to say, dont use too much, a very light coating is sufficient. For a repair like Belfasts, I've used Sikaflex with good results, tho the area to be repaired has to be clean and dry before application. Or do like a good few race shops do and use B&Q bathroom sealant as gasket sealant.No, I'm not kidding-it's very good.

I have painted my engine cases since the my last post and during reassembly I choose not to use a front gasket and instead usd a thin layer of Hylomar. Applied as big J wrote of course. 2k miles and not a leak.

Check the crankcase breather hose too. The oil that spews from it when it goes bad shows up in pretty much the same places as the front gasket leak. I had both simultaneously. Hard to figure out what's going on when that happens.