slash cut hose (off tank question)

LowRyter

I just took the tank off to service the air filter and install the new gas hose.

when I take the tank off on the right side there are two hoses.  One goes into the fuel  pressure regulator.  The other hose goes to a connector to another hose that terminates somewhere behind engine and transmission .

OK, when I was connecting the second hose back together, the terminating hose pulled loose.  It was diagonally cut on the hidden end.  Is this meant to hang loose behind the swingarm or does it hook into something?  (I know my Bandit has an oil overflow.)

Thanks

PS-  I checked the archives here and illustrated parts break out but couldn't locate this hose.

That co-joined hose is the tank vapor vent from the underside tank nipple on the right. It has likely been joined by a connector to the left side tank overflow/water drain and does exit ("slash-cut" small tube) behind the sump (in front of the swingarm (Zip-ty"ing to the oil return there is good). The in-line one-way valve has probably been removed along with all the vapor recovery system (charcoal canisters").

I don't recall these overflow/vent lines shown in any of the diagrams.  The US versions may have been added on these shores.  I say this because, when "I found mine" on the shop floor, there was twenty feet of 1/2 inch fuel line (used for the recovery system) all marked "Made in the USA."

No, really: t-w-e-n-t-y feet! :o

Docc, there are two lines on the right side attached to the tank.

1,  the return line to the tank to regulator,  (connected OK)

2.  the 2nd line that was cut into a connect. The termination I am not sure (unfortunately is came loose).  I just assumed it was a vent and dropped it behind the transmission. 

Bike runs OK.  

Yeah, man. Look up under the tank at the two "nipples" pointing down and forward about mid-tank. Should be what looks like "vacuum lines" on them.

What do you see?

Docc, Thanks but I am not taking the tank off again. 

I have two lines.  One is the return and hooked up to the pressure regulator. 

I assume the other is is breather or vacuum and hooks to connect line that exits to the rear. The exit line is slashed cut.  I don't know if the exit line breathes free or hooks to a fastener.  Right now it's hanging and the bike is running OK.

I assume the other is is breather or vacuum and hooks to connect line that exits to the rear. The exit line is slashed cut.  I don't know if the exit line breathes free or hooks to a fastener.  Right now it's hanging and the bike is running OK.

Well it just means that if you spill a little fuel when pulling the nozzle out filling the tank and when the tank cap breather vents that fuel and vapor will go straight onto the frame spine and probably between the cylinders and sit on the crankcases. Did someone say fire risk?

The hoses are designed to route this onto the ground when the inevitable occurs.

Ciao

• Like 1

You can see each of the two nipples looking up under the tank from the front to the inside of the cylinder heads. They're about halfway back in the tunnel.

Take a peek.

Well it just means that if you spill a little fuel when pulling the nozzle out filling the tank and when the tank cap breather vents that fuel and vapor will go straight onto the frame spine and probably between the cylinders and sit on the crankcases. Did someone say fire risk?

The hoses are designed to route this onto the ground when the inevitable occurs.

Ciao

That was my thinking and that's why I have exiting behind the engine. 

My question, is there a specific place where it supposed to be fastened?  I've got it wedged beside the engine and to the back towards the swingarm.

Should be fine . The original vents would have had a double loop cadmium plated bracket on the back of the gearbox. Otherwise, zip-tie to the oil return line at the back of the engine oil sump.

LowRyter , you say you have a hose connected to the regulator....do you mean fuel pressure regulator ?

The nipple @ the fuel pressure regulator is vented to the atmosphere & should be open .

Should be fine . The original vents would have had a double loop cadmium plated bracket on the back of the gearbox. Otherwise, zip-tie to the oil return line at the back of the engine oil sump.

OK,  I should look for a fastener on back of the gearbox.  I am pretty sure I pulled it out of there when I tried to reconnect it but I couldn't see the fastener or exactly where to look.  It's OK for now but I'd like to secure it where it belongs.  

Thanks Doc. 

Ciao

That was my thinking and that's why I have exiting behind the engine. 

My question, is there a specific place where it supposed to be fastened?  I've got it wedged beside the engine and to the back towards the swingarm.

Sorry thought you hadnt connected the hoses at the tank. My bad.

Ciao