Rear wheel/ reardrive weight

docc

This is the kind thing that goes on when the Sport gets stranded on the lift. In another thread, there was a post remarking about the weight of the V11 rear wheel and rear drive. Might have been a shock thread, or maybe a build thread (?): " . . . think of how much work the shock has to do just with the unsprung weight . . . the whole thing must weigh close to xx." (or something to that effect.)

So, using a bone fide Fairbanks-Morse Physician's Scale, here is what I found:

(early V11) 4.5" rear wheel/ Pirelli GT 160 (1/4 life left):                      35.5 pounds / 16,1 kg

Reardrive/ posterior shaft half/ axle/ fasteners                                   21.5 pounds /   9,5 kg

Gear oil (370 ml Redline SP-Lightweight)                                            0.9   pound /    0,4 kg

57.9 pounds /  26,3 kg

Obviously, the later 5.5 inch rim will be heavier, as will 170 or 180 tires as well as other tire types.

You can always lighten it up like I do using sawdust instead of gearoil. Cuts down on those pesky leaks, but be sure to use only Western Cedar (or Eastern Red Juniper, in a pinch). Gives off a lovely pine scent above 100kph . . . :rolleyes:

• Like 2

It's in the "rear drive seal" thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15908&p=228004

I knew this could happen (crossing a pinch bolt on reassembly), but did it anyway while pre-fitting on the bench. Maybe better to pre-compress the collar with a clamp or in the vise?

Maybe better to pre-compress the collar with a clamp or in the vise?

I plan to cut the rear driveshaft spline "pinch slot" a little deeper, next time I have it apart, so there is better clamping onto the bevel box input spline. Mine has a tiny amount of free play that I think might lead to spline wear.
  • Like 1

This is the kind thing that goes on when the Sport gets stranded on the lift. In another thread, there was a post remarking about the weight of the V11 rear wheel and rear drive. Might have been a shock thread, or maybe a build thread (?): " . . . think of how much work the shock has to do just with the unsprung weight . . . the whole thing must weigh close to xx." (or something to that effect.)

(early V11) 4.5" rear wheel/ Pirelli GT 160 (1/4 life left):                      35.5 pounds / 16,1 kg

Reardrive/ posterior shaft half/ axle/ fasteners                                   21.5 pounds /   9,5 kg

Gear oil (370 ml Redline SP-Lightweight)                                            0.9 pounds /    0,4 kg

57.9 pounds /  26,3 kg

Obviously, the later 5.5 inch rim will be heavier, as will 170 or 180 tires as well as other tire types.

You can always lighten it up like I do using sawdust instead of gearoil. Cuts down on those pesky leaks, but be sure to use only Western Cedar (or Eastern Red Juniper, in a pinch). Gives off a lovely pine scent above 100kph . . . :rolleyes:

Very timely....

Just this AM waded thru the shims, spacers,and bearings associated with the rear tire replacement...don't know where tomorrow will take me but have the maintenance check lists at my side!

(Looking up the density of Western Cedar to nail the spec'd volume for the plain vanilla gearoil.)

• Like 1

Gear oil (370 ml Redline SP-Lightweight)                                            0.9 pounds /    0,4 kg

57.9 pounds /  26,3 kg

That was me docc, I guessed/estimated 25KG's. Pretty close considering my bike has the 5.5" rear wheel I'd say i was spot on:)

So after we have established my amazing ability to estimate these things, I would say my 1198 rear wheel/tire/ sprocket combo would weight around 10KG's.

So you see the massive work the V11 shock has to do even before you load it up and ride on shite roads. No point skimping on a repalcement rear shock, you need a high quality unit.

Ciao 

• Like 1

That occurred to me,too, but it would only be part of the swingarm since its attached to the frame side plats. Not sure how one would calculate the weight distribution of the swingarm.

It's really a wonder the V11 handles as well as does. Once the sags are sorted, that is . . .

That occurred to me,too, but it would only be part of the swingarm since its attached to the frame side plats. Not sure how one would calculate the weight distribution of the swingarm.

It's really a wonder the V11 handles as well as does. Once the sags are sorted, that is . . .

Half the swingarm counts as unsprung weight, as does half the drive shaft and chain. Just thought I'd keep the comparison and example simple.

I'm sure if you went with a light weight rear wheel it would be a really noticeable improvement. Cant see any reason for such a weighty rear wheel, its almost as if they went out of their way to make it extra heavy.

You cant really do much about the bevel box of course except machine off the outer flange as some have done.

Ciao 

Well, you nailed it, man: 25+ kg

Or, translated into the local vernacular: SIXTY-FREAKIN'-POUNDS! :o

No wonder the V11 responds well to "Arse oop. Hed doon," as Joey Dunlop once said . . .

Joey_Dunlop_Honda_RC45_1995_a.jpg

"Cant see any reason for such a weighty rear wheel, its almost as if they went out of their way to make it extra heavy."

You never know. .someone might want to put a hack on one. :)