Rear wheel/ reardrive weight

docc

Well, you nailed it, man: 25+ kg

Or, translated into the local vernacular: SIXTY-FREAKIN'-POUNDS! :o

No wonder the V11 responds well to "Arse oop. Hed doon," as Joey Dunlop once said . . .

Joey_Dunlop_Honda_RC45_1995_a.jpg

Joey, Yer marn. I met him at the TT in 86. Although a Factory Honda rider he also competed the smaller classes on his own privateer bike and was wandering around the paddock looking to borrow a fuel funnel. He approached me, and well what are you going to do? Say no to a legend? Had a quick chat, lovely modest down to earth man. Still made me go and ask for it back though,LOL.

I think that was the year that the fishing boat he and another racer transported their privateer bikes over on from Ireland sank and they managed to salvage the bikes and still make the TT.

Sadly missed.

Ciao  

• Like 2

"Cant see any reason for such a weighty rear wheel, its almost as if they went out of their way to make it extra heavy."

You never know. .someone might want to put a hack on one. :)

While installing new chain and sprockets on my Ducati ST3, I thought I'd weigh the rear wheel. With at least 50% left on a 180/55-17 tire it comes in at 33.1 pounds - which is about 2 pounds less than Docc's V11 wheel with a 160/60-17 tire.  So the V11 rear wheel itself doesn't seem excessively heavy.  Of course, the Duc only needs to count, as unsprung weight, 1/2 the weight of the chain and 1/2 of what appears to be a much lighter swingarm than the V11.

Interesting the Ducati wheel is not much lighter (including its brake rotor?)

It occurs to me, now, that I weighed the brake rotor with the wheel, but not the caliper or its bracket.

Yup - that includes a brake rotor and a new steel sprocket. The caliper and brackets on both bikes probably weigh about the same, but the bracket is a bit smaller on Ducati (and easier to install... and the bleeder is on the top.)  :whistle:

"Cant see any reason for such a weighty rear wheel, its almost as if they went out of their way to make it extra heavy."

You never know. .someone might want to put a hack on one. :)

While installing new chain and sprockets on my Ducati ST3, I thought I'd weigh the rear wheel. With at least 50% left on a 180/55-17 tire it comes in at 33.1 pounds - which is about 2 pounds less than Docc's V11 wheel with a 160/60-17 tire.  So the V11 rear wheel itself doesn't seem excessively heavy.  Of course, the Duc only needs to count, as unsprung weight, 1/2 the weight of the chain and 1/2 of what appears to be a much lighter swingarm than the V11.

That surprises me Scudd, I thought the ST wheel tire assy would be quite a bit lighter than the V11. You cant escape the bevel box though, its a heavy incontinent mother:)

Ciao

The ST3 has a cast Brembo wheel, manufactured about the same time as the cast Brembo wheels for the V11. The Ducati "adds lightness" to the unsprung weight in the rear in a few other places, compared to V11, such as a hollow rear axle. And the Ducati's simple swingarm must be half the weight of the V11. Ducati claim a dry weight of 215 kilos (472 pounds) for the whole bike. The difference to the total weight of a V11 LeMans (226 kilos / 498 pounds) is about the weight of the final drive. I assume the bags and racks are included in the Ducati's dry weight, but I don't know for sure. The S versions (ST3s, ST4s) have lighter, Marchesini, wheels.

So anyway - yeah I expected that Ducati wheel to be a lot lighter. But clearing up false assumptions is part of why we measure stuff, right?