Camshaft recommendation needed

FalcoLion

My bike have a problem with a camshaft and need to get it replaced. So, here is my dilemma

I have a spare all stock engine with around 3k miles on it. So, I can take the cam out of there but I always wanted to get a little more power for my V11. I am thinking of upgrading camshaft but since our bikes are not getting any younger it’s getting hard to get any performance upgrades.

That’s were you guys come in. Since this is extremely knowledgeable forum I have always listened to owners who did the upgrades or have technical expertise. Here is my list but I am not 100% certain

1. Mike Rich lists camshaft (800-620x10), performance valve springs and pistons or (800-620x9) with stock pistons. Unfortunately I cannot get in touch with him for the last 2 weeks and he is not responding to emails or voicemails. From everything I read it would have been the awesome setup

2. Ghezzi Brian 2 valve power kit http://www.ghezzi-brian.com/en/tuning-moto/tuning-moto-guzzi/v11-1100-sport-daytona-centauro/2235-2/ Sounds good but never heard of it and probably would be a lot more $$$$.

3. Then there Dynotec http://www.dynotec.de/index.html. No idea about the price and quality. All I know is that they make stuff. All I know that Raceco which is closed now is forwarding everyone to Dynotec

4. Does-Mototec is supposedly also known tuner but I have no clue about their pricing or availability. http://www.daes-mototec.de/index.php/motoroptimierung-moto-guzzi.html

5. The last one is HMB-guzzi in Germany. I don’t see anything for V11 but maybe they have it. http://hmb-guzzi.de/Engine-Tuning-Repair?lang=eng

6. Megacycle cams. I think Mike Rich sells Megacycles but grinded to his specs. Megacycle lists a few options but their list is for 750/850 engines. I thought it would be same for 1064 engine

620x10, 620x8 or 620x7

Any recommendations based on personal experience and/or technical expertise would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Vlad

Docc,

So, original cam is a nice piece and I get that. The discussion you pointed me to has a lot of MAYBE info but zero answers to the original question on that thread or to mine. From what I gathered is that Megacycle and Mike Rich camshaft 620x10 are same but doesn’t seem to me that anyone has the answer why lift specs on these 2 camshaft are so different.

Also there is someone on eBay is selling B10 regrounded camshaft for $275.

Mike Rich is specifying that head would need sinking valves. There is no such info on Megacycle site.

Yeah, man. I remember no one ever figured this out before. There are the discrepancies we discovered and Rich's specification about modifying the heads to run his cam.

Just how much more power are you trying to make? Are you sure a cam will give you what you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looking for a lot more and it’s not my main concern. But since the bad cam is out, I might as well put in a little hotter one. That’s why I am asking. If Mike Rich would have gotten back I wouldn’t even bother with a question. But unfortunately he didn’t and that is why I am looking for an alternative. From what I understand, a hotter cam adds around 5hp and if I get pistons then maybe another 5hp. I would be pretty happy with that

I can talk general cam knowledge, but I don't have specific info on cams for the V11. I am interested in a cam for a Griso 1100, but that is another story for down the road.

I have heard that the intake port of the V11 is somewhat limited in flow. If that is true, a cam that holds the valve open further is not necessarily what you want. If that is true, a cam that holds the valve open longer would be better than one that hold the valve open further.

Personally, I would be happy to give up a little in some areas to make more power in other areas. But then, I am one of those stupid people that likes race motors on the street. I don't commute, I ride strictly for fun.

Footlgoose, no idea why it happened. Bike has barely over 4K and oil had been changed just prior. I wasn’ riding aggressively and bike didn’t have Ropper plate.

I bought the plate afterwards and will be installing once camshaft problem is fixed.

It's pretty hard to kill a camshaft. I've seen them but it's usually due to improper hardening or too tight of valve clearance. How do you know yours is bad?

swooshdave, camshaft is bad. I know it because my mechanic took the bike apart. He is very good mechanic and knows what he is doing.

I do not doubt him. All I am looking for if someone actually has answers to my questions

And yes I know Ropper plate has nothing to do with it. I had a Ballabio for 5-6 years without the plate and it worked beautifully

Thanks

Vlad