Camshaft recommendation needed

FalcoLion

Vlad, Were there no answers in that older thread? (Sorry, I did not have time to re-read it . . .  )

Docc, not really. I did thru the whole thread but no definite answers. People are just guessing and suggesting but nothing concrete

Yeah, man, I recall that. The whole camshaft thing seems to turn into a rabbit hole . . . change the cam-> change the valves -> springs -> headwork -> porting-> pistons-> yadda-yadda . . .

Seems a lot for a 10%  gain. Along with the possible driveability tradeoffs.  Maybe why there are so few who can share actual experience.

You could become the world's foremost expert on this!

Mechanic says camshaft is bad. No details? Pictures? What else is he recommending replacing? Followers?

Not doubting his expertise, trying to learn from you experience.

Nothing else besides crankshaft and new valves. I don’t really need to post pics since I don’t need to prove anything.

I am making phones calls. Tomorrow will call Germany and see what they will say. Also will be sending email to Ghezzi-Brian

If I get more concrete answers, I will post them here

Sure would be nice if Mike Rich would be more forthcoming.  As far as i know, he is the most experienced with these modifications in the USA?

I know of riders that have had really good results with his work.

Yeah. I am still hoping he is going to respond back to me

In my limited experience with Mike Rich; 1) He is really busy. 2) He might be off for the holidays. 3) I would call him on the phone vs email.

When I was trying to find out what had been done to the Mighty Scura, I just called him. He keeps records and remembered the bike. Gave me the number when he flowed the heads, but it's lost in my failing memory.He did say it was one of the best he had done on a Guzzi. Told me to set the titanium pushrod valve gaps at .002" and .003". Said he didn't put the engine together, but set it up for the Mega Cycle cam. Which one? Sorry, don't remember. :) I was only concerned about getting the valve gap right at the time.

Nothing else besides crankshaft and new valves. I don’t really need to post pics since I don’t need to prove anything.

I am making phones calls. Tomorrow will call Germany and see what they will say. Also will be sending email to Ghezzi-Brian

If I get more concrete answers, I will post them here

Good because actual answers are lacking.

Was there some original post that I missed that described the engine problems before looking for the parts? All I can discern so far is that a 4k mile engine ate itself. Best guess from the lack of information is that it was an oil starvation due to lack of Roper Plate.

I'am just finishing mount of a Schrick cam (Germany) into V11 Ballabio. I need a few more weeks of time to see the result from dyno runs. But it was not only cam/springs/springcap set, many work needs the timing setting, ports, valveseat, squish, CR etc. For Schrick cam can I give you a datasheet.

Best guess from the lack of information is that it was an oil starvation due to lack of Roper Plate.

Roper plates are, of course, a fine idea.  That the lack of one would kill a V11 at 4,000 miles would put me on my twenty-sixth engine . . .

Oil filter connection failure is a far more documented cause of oil starvation, it seems.

• Like 1

I had my previous Ballabio for around 5 years and NEVER had Ropper plate installed. I rode it relatively hard and only had oil light flicker few times. I doubt my camshaft failure has anything to do with Ropper plate and as docc said it’s a good idea. But it’s 1000% would not be a cause of the problem. I hope no one thinks that factory engineers are any less experienced than mr. Ropper.

Chuck, thanks for at least confirming that you have Megacycle in your bike.

I will keep trying to get in touch with Mike Rich by phone and/or emails.

@gelos, thanks for the offer. I am trying to stay close to OEM setup with possible mods. So, if one can confirm that Megacycle X9 would be just a drop in proposition but be just a bit better than OEM then I will get that.

Otherwise I will just take apart the extra engine that I have

I got a X10 cam in my v11 sport

Mike rich did the heads... Valves, porting, pistons, etc

Also chrome moly pushrods

Bike really comes alive after 3 grand

Mike also said that the X10 is the biggest street cam... If that means anything.

I like it alot... Hope this helps