Camshaft recommendation needed

FalcoLion

I got a X10 cam in my v11 sport

Mike rich did the heads... Valves, porting, pistons, etc

Also chrome moly pushrods

Bike really comes alive after 3 grand

Mike also said that the X10 is the biggest street cam... If that means anything.

I like it alot... Hope this helps

Orangem2, thanks for a response. I spoke to Mike Rich last time about a year ago or so and he also told me that x10 is the largest cam. But Mike didn’t have cams then. Also main question was if Megacycle cams and Mike Rich’s cams are one and the same.

I know Mike is a great authority in Guzzi world but if he wouldn’t have cams it would be of no help. That is why I was also asking about German and Ghezzi-Brian cams.

I would appreciate if people who actually have different cams post here.

So, as of now I got confirmation of Mike’s x10 cam and some German Schlick valves are the once that have been installed.

Original question is still unanswered

My bike has the megacycle cams on it.  I don't see anything on the invoice that required any other head work.  The pistons, rods and cams were replaced at the same time by Moto International.  

Check with them to see if they have any advice.

-Nick

My bike has the megacycle cams on it.  I don't see anything on the invoice that required any other head work.  The pistons, rods and cams were replaced at the same time by Moto International.  

Check with them to see if they have any advice.

-Nick

As I understand it, the stock cam is very similar to the smaller Megacycle cam.

Is the original question the same, or similar, to the final question in the *other* cam thread?

"Now, the question remains: Why not cam a V11?

My take is that the V11 (1064 Sport) cam is very well optimized for the bike, but surely there are those here who have changed the cam.

If so, to what?"

Is the original question the same, or similar, to the final question in the *other* cam thread?

My take is that the V11 (1064 Sport) cam is very well optimized for the bike, but surely there are those here who have changed the cam.

If so, to what?"

Not sure on the reason the owner changed the cam, my guess is that Moto International suggested it as he was having the Carrillo cams and FBF pistons put in why they were swapping the "fuzzy" painted case out with a new one.

-Nick

If so, to what?"

Docc, the reason why not V11 cam is because I want to leave spare engine intact. Also since my engine is opened and the heads are already off I might as well get a bit of extra performance.

If 620x9 would not require any additional mods but offers same or just a bit of extra performance then I would stick with that. If I get 620x9 and new valve springs and maybe high compression pistons without the need to sink valves then I would go that route

I need to get it going soon so I can get my V11 back on the road

From what I've read so far the cam isn't the problem to making more juice, it's the heads. So just slapping a cam in without reflowing the heads is going to get you very little to no advantage. Which isn't dissimilar to many sporty engines of any flavor, they are usually pretty well designed from the get go and additional power is usually expensive to find. If it was just a cam swap then everyone would be doing it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just reposting the questions from that other thread, since no one on that on chimed in with actual cam experience either.

From the numbers (cam lift and duration specifications), it looks like you would need to go to the 620-10 to get more cam than stock.

I like what Ed Milch was quoted as saying:        "Ed Milich who races guzzis wrote me that no straight drop in cam is worth the hassle."

• Like 1

Combine Ed Milich's words with the fact that anything what needs sinking of the valves is crap and you'll see that not much is left what could be done.

There's one expert in Germany who's selling or at least offering his own 'broad-band' cams. Brutal torque right at the bottom, yet wildly revving up to +9000. He obviously knows how Guzzi parts want to be sold.

• 1 year later...

Wow, quite a dated thread that I've somehow just run across and wish I had found back when the original questions were being asked.

So in case anyone searches for this again, as someone who has the Mike Rich pistons, valves and 800-620x9 Megacycle Cam installed, here is what I can offer based upon my conversations with Mike Rich almost exactly 15 years ago   :o 

First things first... I don't know if Mike is the same as he was 15 years ago, but he self-admittedly didn't keep up with email very well.  He however was happy to speak on the phone and answer questions.  I found Mike to be very friendly, honest and helpful and didn't try to up-sell performance parts that really didn't add much value based upon your goals.  He was often clearly working busily in his shop versus at the computer  :thumbsup: 

So here are my Mike Rich modifications that were installed as part of the warranty recall "fuzzy case" replacements back around 2004:

- Mike Rich dual-plug head conversion with Teo Lamer ignition remapped 15M ECU
- Mike Rich Motorsports "Stage II" ported heads
- Mike Rich 10.25:1 (10.5:1 actual) pistons
- Mike Rich performance valve spring kit (springs, titanium retainers, lower platforms)
- 800-620x9 Megacycle Cam, street grind. 258° duration, .400" lift
- TiN coated valves and matching guides

After these modifications I had the bike tuned on a Dynojet that indicated an 86 rwhp and 64 ft-lb of torque.  Some drive train loss estimates based upon other dyno results of stock V11 Sports suggests an approximate 105 hp at the crank.  Of course I also have a Stucchi crossover and Leo Vince exhausts, and the airbox removed.  Who's to say how much those modifications add or subtract from any gains, and where on the power band.  Unfortunately I didn't perform any before/after dyno testing for each individual modification, which of course would be ideal.

Below are some email excerpts from Mike Rich regarding these modifications that we exchanged back in 2004:

go for the cam [800-620x9]-it raises compression mechanically (intake closing time) and adds duration above .040" of lift -as well as some additional lift. -  remember 90 hp at the rear wheel is approximately  105-108 hp at the crank- 

NOW TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

1) MAXIMUM STREET COMPRESSION USING PUMP GAS SEEMS TO FALL AT 10.5 TO 1-- MY PISTON GIVES 10.23 TO 1 AND CORRECTS THE STOCK DECK HEIGHT, IT ALSO PROVIDES ANTI-DETONATION CHARACTERISTICS BY DESIGN. IN YOUR CASE YOU'LL BE NEAR 10.5 TO 1   

2) 620X9 CAM WILL BE A GOOD CHOICE BUT WILL ONLY ADD APROX-1 TO 2 HP PEAK INCREASE, HOWEVER IT DOES BOOST THE BOTTOM END PERFORMANCE SIGNIFICANTLY- TAKE'S A BUNCH OF THE POWER DIP OUT BETWEEN 4500 & 6000 RPM (THE BEST DROP IN CAM).

WE ARE SEEING EXCELLENT RESULTS WITH THE 620X10- THIS CAM IS NOT A DROP IN AND REQUIRES SINKING THE VALVES A LITTLE TO KEEP THE VALVES FROM CLASHING- THIS CAM MAKES GREAT POWER BUT ALAS I DONT YET HAVE ANY DYNO FIGURES FROM MY CLIENTS THAT USE THIS CAM-JUST RAVES ABOUT HOW MUCH BETTER IT IS.     

3) MY PERFORMANCE SPRINGS WILL WORK WITH ALL OF THE MEGA-CYCLE AND WEB-GUZZI CAMSHAFTS   

4) TI PUSH RODS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER, STIFFER AND LIGHTER THAN STOCK         

5) CARILLO RODS ARE EXCELLENT-BUT YOU MUST HAVE THE CRANK SHAFT RE-BALANCED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM!   

I cover a lot of this and early observations here:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5171

Again, sorry I missed the opportunity to possibly help out when the question was first asked.

• Like 2