Electrical Problem

cash1000

As I always say (or maybe I'm just making this up for the first time) "If a Kiwi can't sort it out it wasn't meant to be sorted out."

I think you could be overstating things. Cash1000 has seen my shed. See pic

Kiwi Maintenance.jpg

We may just drink beer, and hope the little guy knows what he is doing. We don’t want to look as if we’re trying too hard, just in case someone is watching.

• Like 1

As I always say (or maybe I'm just making this up for the first time) "If a Kiwi can't sort it out it wasn't meant to be sorted out."

I think you may be overstating things. Cash1000 has seen my shed. See pic

attachicon.gifKiwi Maintenance.jpg

We may just drink beer and hope the little guy knows what he is doing. We don’t want to look as if we’re trying too hard, just in case someone is watching.

Well, it is the land of Burt Monro, and Beer Island... :notworthy: credit where credit's due.

made national news here

9297820-3x2-700x467.jpg

• Like 1

I think you could be overstating things. Cash1000 has seen my shed. See pic

attachicon.gifKiwi Maintenance.jpg

We may just drink beer, and hope the little guy knows what he is doing. We don’t want to look as if we’re trying too hard, just in case someone is watching.

... and Beer Island...

That beer island was a great trick to beat the New Year "booze ban" on that beach. Even the local cop was impressed. It was an international cooperative venture (well NZ & USA anyway) .

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100305744/meet-the-crew-who-built-new-zealands-booze-ban-island

I'm surprised that there were no Aussies involved. Some of them take their beer drinking seriously.

There were two faults, both related to the relays.

In the relay base, a connector spade lug was pushed back from the starter relay terminal. This was 87A on the start relay which is wired to terminal 30 of the headlight relay. Being pushed back meant that it made intermittent contact with terminal 87A on the starter relay.

We then followed Kiwi_Roy's instructions and tightened all the relay base connections. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15718

Also we found an ugly burnt wire splice at the headlight relay, which jumpered pins 85 & 87.

Possibly put there to repair a headlight relay which had gone bad at one time, or they didn't have a 5 pin relay available.

Took the splice out, repaired the partially melted wires, fitted a 5 pin starter relay, and everything seemed to work.

Waiting to hear from Cash1000, hopefully everything was fine when he got home. I forgot to check that the battery was charging after all the poking around.

We are going to do a combined order of Docc's recommended relays, as some of the relays that have accumulated in our tool kits are a bit manky.

Docc says here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&page=5#entry216605

*Best* relay commonly available for the V11 appears to be the High-Current OMRON G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12 available from DigiKey here:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/omron-electronics-inc-emc-div/G8HE-1C7T-R-DC12/Z5645-ND/2755412

• Like 1

Glad all is well. I kept meaning to post, before cash1000 rode very far, that if there is no headlight, no tachometer, and no horn, there would likely be no charging either.

Good on ya, Marty! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

As they say.. "Yer a legend.."  :)

As they say, "standing on the shoulders of giants". 

This forum is full of knowledgeable and helpful people (including you). That's the reason that my bike is roadworthy. 

Incidentally Cash1000 took my bike for a thrash around the block, which could have been harmless, but he made my "to do" list longer. He said my bike vibrated more than his, so I'm going to dig out the synchronizing manometer this weekend. 

Also his front disks were thicker than mine. Out with the vernier, my disks are worn below the minimum thickness that Brembo stamped on them. Sigh!

• Like 1

It occurs to me that there are a couple really common causes for the relay base wiring to fail. Certainly it is heat and resistance, but more specifically, we have learned that typical  relays rated 10/20 amps NC/NO are inadequate for positions #2 and #5 on all V11 and also position #1 on early V11. Under rated relay contacts are going to create excessive, damaging heat.

The connections themselves will corrode and degrade over time also increasing resistance and heat.

The good news? Collectively, we found those High Current OMRON and learned about tightening the relay bases and using Caig DeOxit.

All good stuff! Well done, gentlemen, all around! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Back to work today groan. Still to shorts t-shirt & sandels better than business clothes.

Many thanks to Marty for sorting out horn & taco. Simple solution to a problem that been around for a while.

While we were at it we checked over rest of electrics and found micro switch on front brake had died(again) and oil pressure sensor had also died (again).

So order placed with Peter Kelly at Moto Kiwi.

Also many thanks to other users for their suggestions.

• Like 1

Back to work today groan. Still to shorts t-shirt & sandels better than business clothes.

Many thanks to Marty for sorting out horn & taco. Simple solution to a problem that been around for a while.

While we were at it we checked over rest of electrics and found micro switch on front brake had died(again) and oil pressure sensor had also died (again).

So order placed with Peter Kelly at Moto Kiwi.

Also many thanks to other users for their suggestions.

Try this with the micro-switch... loosen the bolts slightly, and pull the body to the outside, and re-tighten. It's worked for myself and others. I think it was outside, if not try in.

• 1 month later...

... simple solution to a problem that been around for a while...also many thanks to other users for their suggestions.

Out for a wee blast, engine surged and cut.

Feck!

Still plenty of speed, clutch in, through traffic on the next lane, and onto the shoulder. Checked fuses, swapped some relays, heard the pump run, so off home.

On the way the tach stopped, then on, then flickered...

Now I need to do the same to my bike as we did to Cash's Rosso Mandello.

(and yes Docc, I have some supa dupa Omron G8HE relays fitted in 3 places, but I think I need to revisit KiwiRoy's relay base fix).

. . . (and yes Docc, I have some supa dupa Omron G8HE relays fitted in 3 places, but I think I need to revisit KiwiRoy's relay base fix).

Good plan. Along with considering the Run Switch's feed from the Sidestand Switch. If it acted up rolling in gear, then straightened out parked it could be that the alternate current path through the Neutral Switch/ Relay#3 temporarily "solved" the problem.

Which 3 positions get the High Current Relays?