Neutral light out, deploy side stand, bike stalls

JBBenson

After a ride tonight, the neutral light stopped working. I got the bike into neutral, and with it still idling, I deployed the side stand, as always, so I could open my garage door.

Bike stalls.

Hm. I re-started and tried again, just to be sure. Sure enough, it stalled again.

I checked the relays, using a known 2 good ones in the #3 position, still no neutral light. I checked the connection to the neutral with, cleaned it and lightly sanded with emery paper to get to really clean. The fit was good and tight. Still no neutral light.

My diagnosis is this: the bike stalls because it thinks it's in gear, even when it isn't. The lack of any neutral light, and the cutting of the ignition when the side stand is down is evidence of this. These symptoms appeared simultaneously.

So, it must be the neutral switch on the transmission. Right? How do they actually work? is there some kind of spring or plunger that has failed?

Has anyone replaced theirs? Can I do it without draining the transmission? 

I have searched but didn't find anything about failing neutral switches.

Side stand switch is fine, although it wouldn't affect this circuit, even though it seems like it would. If I had a neutral light, then, yes, the side stand switch might be the culprit.

Grounding the terminal at the neutral switch produces a neutral light, so it is the neutral switch.

I have parked it in gear, having read that this trick relieves the sometimes sticking switch.

So, the question is now, how often do these switches go bad? Who here has actually replaced one?

• Like 1

I had an intermittent neutral light recently, but I rarely if ever leave it running with sidestand down - so did't notice any stalling. However, I sprayed the switch and connector with Deoxit and made sure it the wire terminal was making good, firm contact on the switch. No problems since.

I have not replaced the switch, but I have a functioning used one here if you need it. 

I don't know anything about reliability of the neutral switch, but I see on the circuit diagram that it provides a ground for two items.

1/ neutral light ground.

2/ sidestand relay coil ground.

If you short the wire at the neutral switch to ground somewhere on the bike, while the ignition switch is on, you should hear the sidestand relay click, and see the neutral light come on. If yes to both, you have a faulty neutral switch.

It may just need cleaning. Exercising the switch with lots of solvent or WD40 may clean it.

Or you could take up Scud's offer. Guzzi PN GU19207220.

It IS a little sprung/plunger that rides on one of the shift pre-selector wheels. There is a recess it drops into when neutral is reached, activating the switch. 

19207220.jpg

the plunger there on the right. the rest sticks out of the case. I can't remember if it's above or below the fluid line. MGCycles has them.

The neutral light is not working so the bike doesn't know it's in neutral

Put the stand down, i'm not in Neutral so stop the bike, simple as that.

It could be aa loose wire or the internal switch which is a simple brass contact that makes contact with the gear selector grounding it.

Use a jumper to ground the terminal on the gearbox, it should turn on the Neutral light

I recall some reporting improved switch function with a gearoil change, especially after cleaning the switch as MartyNZ describes.

The switch is bathed in the gearoil, so it helps to drain the gearbox before pulling the switch. That can be done with the starter in place, but it is nice to have the bike upright if you have a chock or stand. Or a lift. A little shop stool. Some beer. You know: always use the full compliment of correct tools for the job! :nerd::luigi::bier:

It occurred to me to post this observation: Once upon a time, I got the Sport into a false neutral which would not activate the neutral switch.  My mind went all *sparky and wire nutty* until I discovered the operator error. Worth double checking before taking things apart . . .

After parking the bike in gear, the switch became unstuck and started working again. 

But, it's on the agenda for replacement, sooner or later.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

Might try the oil change. It's worked for others who went to one of the RedLine products (as i recall).

Other shave had success just removing and cleaning the switch.

Glad you know exactly what it is now!

Happened to me a while back, i took the switch out and doused it in wd40 while working the plunger on the bench a few (loads of) times. Might be worth a try before shelling out for a new unit?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My bike is dead as a doornail.

I noticed that neutral light was flickering when I stopped.  When I tried to restart it, no neutral light, no charge light, no fuel pump, and no starter motor. All dead.  I played relay roulette and checked the fuses.  No help.

Would the kickstand switch or clutch switch cause this?  Ignition switch?

OBTW- the kickstand was taken off the bike to change out the leaky timing cover gasket.  So I suppose the kickstand switch might be a culprit but I don't know how it connects to the neutral light, and fuel pump, I know it defeats the starter motor.  

The Sidestand Switch only provides current to the Run Switch when the stand is up and the bike is in gear. No relay. So, it's not that.

How about your headlight and tail light?

• Like 1