Neutral light out, deploy side stand, bike stalls

JBBenson

Docc, Headlight was working.  The first sign was the dead neutral light.  The #2 (from front) relay clicked.  No neutral light, no fuel pump, no starter motor.

The Sidestand Switch completely bypasses the Neutral Switch (in the gearbox) and center relay (Relay#3).

Does it act any differently with the sidestand up, clutch lever pulled in?

• Like 1

Neither side stand, nor clutch lever, in and out of gear made any difference- tried all combinations. 

Turned the key on, headlight came on, oil pressure light, nothing else.  Heard a click on the relay. 

docc,  are you meaning that it is a bad connection or problem with ignition switch?

BTW-  I did move the bars and shake all the controls, kill switches, every combination I could think of.

Docc- I'll give it a shot whenever I see the bike again.  But I did consider a bad battery.  I rode it for 25 miles with one restart before I was stranded.  

reading this, it seems to place the start is the neutral switch in the transmission. Found it on MG site.  Maybe should check connection and clean it.   

A quicky trouble shooting thing.

No neutral light-look for sticking neutral switch.

Won't run in neutral-look for stuck neutral switch..or.. middle relay.

Won't run in gear-side stand switch.

That don't work? It's cursed. I'll give you a hunnerd dollars for it.

• Like 1

Seems reasonable Chuck but,

Since the bike should start in gear (with the side stand up), why would the neutral switch kill the fuel pump and starter?

If it's the sidestand switch, why would that affect the neutral light?

Seems reasonable Chuck but,

Since the bike should start in gear (with the side stand up), why would the neutral switch kill the fuel pump and starter?

If it's the sidestand switch, why would that affect the neutral light?

Ok, in that case, it sounds like the ignition switch to me. I'd check for power to the sidestand switch and fuse F6. 

• Like 1

I had taken my tank off to change the fuel filter out. After re-installing the tank I tried to start the bike and nothing. Removed the tank and discovered the two wires from the clutch lever switch had disconnected. If memory serves me they were in the bundle near the ignition coil on the left side of the bike. Plugged them back in and the bike fired right up. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Stew, for sure need to check connections.  Not only didn't it crank, but no fuel pump and dead neutral light.  

x posted from WG  

I found a schematic (I'm certainly no electrician) and the ringer here to me is the fuel pump isn't running. If I'm reading this correctly, fuse F1 powers the ECU relay, which triggers the INJ relay, powered by fuse F2, which powers the coils, injection, andfuel pump. 

You *have* checked for power at fuse F1, and F2,  right?

Kiwi Roy was right (of course) the headlight being on rules out the ignition switch. 

There is an Amp connector 35 from the ignition switch that I'd suspect. This deals with the kill switch, sidestand switch, yada yada.

• Like 1