Neutral light out, deploy side stand, bike stalls

JBBenson

working on the bike this AM.  Going to go over connections and fuses and change out relays.

First thing, bike starts and neutral light is bright-no flicker.  

Update:  I cleaned and reinstalled the relays and fuses.  It appeared that fuse #6, 5 amp was blown.  Of course it couldn't have been, since everything appeared working.  I am not sure what "Dipped Lights" mean.  Replaced it.

Low beam. Could have been blown and you didn't notice it.

While we, in the US, commonly refer to the Low Beam as a "dipped light", Moto Guzzi uses "dipped lights" to refer to the the "city light" circuit that does not go through any relays. Fuse #6 feeds the small 4 watt bulb in the headlamp (not the H4), tail light (not the brake light), tag light and instrument illumination. The Italian translation of "luce di positione" is "position light."

It's what comes on in the "Park" position of the ignition switch, and what remains on when the "Euro" light switch is turned off.  Ostensibly, if the headlight circuit fails, the bike would still have enough illumination to travel, albeit at very slow speed.

Who you callin' a DipSwitch?!? :huh: (sorry, couldn't resist) . . .

So, the Fuse 6 circuit, itself, could have nothing to do with running issues. Yet, I wonder if it could blow from an Ignition Switch fault. LowRyter, has the Ignition Switch been inspected on your Sport?

[edit: I do recall someone here explaining to me that a Fuse cannot blow from a fault upstream (?), so unlikely the Ignition Switch blew Fuse#6. Most common cause has been pinched wires in the rear tail section/ fender area.]

Test ride worked ok. 

"N" light did flicker some after I got off highway.  Not sure why.  Bike didn't die when leaned on the side stand.  All other idiot lights bright and good.  All this leaves me uneasy but the ride must go on.  You can't fix what's not broken.  

Played with the shock.  The adjusters all work and tension increases  as I dial it in.  Doesn't seem the make a heck of a lot of difference when I ride it for better or worse.  I am going to play with the fork later.  And replace the buzzy horn.  Speedo still working. 

I plan to ride it to Harrison next week. 

• Like 1

I thought you were afraid the Mighty Scura would spank your Greenie..  :helmet:  :grin:

So when your neutral light is flickering, is it when it is in neutral? Have you checked the connection/switch? I've lost track..

You mentioned back a page that when you put the bike on it's side it would stall, I misread that as leaning over.

Did you mean "On The side stand?"

If the Neutral light is flickering and the side stand is deployed of course it will stall because the ECU is loosing power.

I suspect you have a loose wire or the Neutral switch is sizzling away, it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

You just have to decide weather to fix it, ignore it or bypass it

I thought you were afraid the Mighty Scura would spank your Greenie..  :helmet:  :grin:

So when your neutral light is flickering, is it when it is in neutral? Have you checked the connection/switch? I've lost track..

no, yes, and no.

You mentioned back a page that when you put the bike on it's side it would stall, I misread that as leaning over.

Did you mean "On The side stand?"

If the Neutral light is flickering and the side stand is deployed of course it will stall because the ECU is loosing power.

I suspect you have a loose wire or the Neutral switch is sizzling away, it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

You just have to decide weather to fix it, ignore it or bypass it

it was cutting out when leaning over.  I couldn't lean it over that far without the side stand to catch it. When I stood it up it started to run again.

When I tried to work on it 5 minutes later, the problem went away and hasn't been back.

weird. 

The "N" flickering came back after I rode it on highway.  I noticed it when I stopped at intersections.  I put it on the side stand and it ran fine.  Problem could not be replicated. 

weird

uhhhm Docc........I was afraid that you would ask me that.  I can't find them.  They are misplaced.  I went to install them today but I can't find them.

I am still running Pyro Dan's.  I cleaned everything with contact cleaner.

I feel awful, Docc.  I was hoping you wouldn't ask.  But I am in too deep to lie about it.  

I have no idea what happened to the envelope.  It's not where I thought it was.

It's been one of them daze.  

UPDATE:   Just found them Docc.  After all day looking.  (They were where I put them but I had thrown out the envelope.  Found them in a plastic bag.)

Installed and started

test ride to tomorrow.  Max bags, max shock, minimum fork. 

• Like 1

John, if you still haven't trouble shot the dodgy neutral light, it's simple. All the neutral switch does is provide a path to ground for the light. Unhook it and ground the terminal to the block.. key on, of course. You should get a steady light. If not, you either have a loose connection there, a flaky switch (common) or a broken wire/bulb socket/bad bulb. (really uncommon)