Neutral light out, deploy side stand, bike stalls

JBBenson

Made the Ozarks trip.  The bike ran like a freight train.  I haven't checked the tranny leak since I left but it ain't dripping on the floor. 

Shock rebuild worked good; that and playing with fork helped dampen the "weave".  Previous owner was there with his Spot, he mentioned that he couldn't get rid of the "weave" with bags on.  The weave was much better even up to 80 around semis and was pretty steady at 90+ for brief moments with no traffic.  34lb in the front tire.  It's not perfect but better.

I am not sure what problems I had with this bike before I made the trip but it ran strong all the way and wanted more.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

LowRyter,

Glad your trip went well.

The only time my VII failed to start it was the side-stand switch.

If you look at Carls schematic for the 1999 it calls the relay Sidestand Relay, really as it's activated by the Neutral switch it should be called the Neutral Relay

the later 2004 calls it the Neutral switch the Idle Switch.

The thing is the Neutral switch and the Stand switch work together to send power to the ECU, knowing that if you short out either switch or relay contact chances are the bike will fire up.

Pull out the relay (No 3) and wrap a bare strand of wire around 30 & 87 pins and stuff it back in and away. The same result if you leave the relay out and stuff a wire in the socket 30 to 87

The VIIs will run without any relays if you poke wires in the sockets but it's nice to have 4 & 5

Roy, when the bike was "dead", it was dead.  The lights worked but the fuel pump didn't go and the starter didn't go.  That's dead.

The next time it started dying was when I rode it home after repair.  The N light flickered and it started to die when I leaned to over on the sidestand.  it smelled and acted like it was running out of gas.  it finally did die when put full over.  I did it a couple of times.  I put the bike in the garage and took my gear off, and five minutes later it ran fine.  And has ever since.  My thinking was vapor lock.

After that, I noticed the N light would flicker after riding it for a few minutes.  I later examined the N switch under the shifter. I saw some weep from the tranny and pushed on the connector to make sure it was tight and cleaned off the weep.

It's been running well and the N light hasn't flickered.  probably ridden it 1500 miles since.  No problems.

Cleaned the bike when I got back from Ozarks and will be monitoring the tranny weep.  Been hot here and not comfy to ride.  Going for a ride tomorrow night's Barn Night at Bob's.  WIll let you know.