Fourteenth South'n Spine Raid 2018

Just the requisite disclaimer, to get it out of the way:

This is not a rally, event, or function of V11LeMans.com. It is an idea about riding, or meeting interested people. It is an idea only. ***

Lordy, it's as if you've been talking to a lawyer. T'wasn't I.   :whistle:

Good morning from the frozen solid top of Virginia, where it's about the same temp as much of Lower Pa., in other words, WAY too cold.  :angry:

Will try (again) to make the SSR (without failing as last year) ... even tho that is the same weekend as the anniversary of the Battle of Eutaw Springs.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Eutaw_Springs. My fifth great grandfather, James Hagan, Jr., was grievously wounded there.   :notworthy:

Born in 1754 not 10 miles from where I sit sipping coffee and pecking out this wandering post, he served in the Maryland Regiment of the Continental Army from 1776 to 1783.  Yes, I digress -- you are surprised? :huh2: -- but I knew you'd want to know.   :oldgit:

Happy New Year and best to all from (Iron) Cross Junction (where, thankfully, four visiting grandkids from Carlisle Barracks are only now just stirring; pandemonium begins anew in minutes! :grin: ),

Bill

• Like 4

The pandemonium is finally over at our grandkids place.. 15,15, and 10 going on 23. Whew! Fortunately, I had a motorcycle out there and could occasionally escape.. :oldgit:

Thanks for the great pic of SpineRaiders on the Cherohala, Nick! That was a chilly fog! :blink:

There is still a lot of great riding without falling in with an oversize group.  Any more than 4-6 is a formula for various difficulties that are entirely avoided with the "Team" size collection of riders.  These more natural "Teams" often have two or three riders that have ridden together before and two or three more who have discovered a common bond and interest in the goals for the day's ride. Makes for lively conversation both here, and on Friday, as riders get staged for what they want to do Saturday.

There have been riders who just like going for a spin solo, or with a buddy.  Sometimes, a guy needs to get a tire mounted, or just hang back and have ice cream; take some photographs.

When we have taken the Team approach, the success is evident at the 'debriefing" :bier:  :grin:  :pic::drink: under the pavilion at nightfall around the campfire.

And, as always, the ubiquitous TechSessions that pop up! :luigi:  :nerd:  ^_^  

• Like 1

Just the requisite disclaimer, to get it out of the way:

This is not a rally, event, or function of V11LeMans.com. It is an idea about riding, or meeting interested people. It is an idea only. ***

Lordy, it's as if you've been talking to a lawyer. T'wasn't I.   :whistle:

Good morning from the frozen solid top of Virginia, where it's about the same temp as much of Lower Pa., in other words, WAY too cold.  :angry:

Will try (again) to make the SSR (without failing as last year) ... even tho that is the same weekend as the anniversary of the Battle of Eutaw Springs.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Eutaw_Springs. My fifth great grandfather, James Hagan, Jr., was grievously wounded there.   :notworthy:

Born in 1754 not 10 miles from where I sit sipping coffee and pecking out this wandering post, he served in the Maryland Regiment of the Continental Army from 1776 to 1783.  Yes, I digress -- you are surprised? :huh2: -- but I knew you'd want to know.   :oldgit:

Happy New Year and best to all from (Iron) Cross Junction (where, thankfully, four visiting grandkids from Carlisle Barracks are only now just stirring; pandemonium begins anew in minutes! :grin: ),

Bill

The Eutaw Springs event read was interesting. I'm easily pulled into those stories and enjoy them. A tiny bit of Googling produced another Hagan. Also a relative? Lt. Col. John William Hagan. Seems his regiment was at Eutaw Springs.

http://www.carolana.com/NC/Revolution/nc_mecklenburg_county_regiment.html

Happy new year to you as well. Hope to see you in TN this year.

^^^^^^^^

I, too, am easily snagged by such things.   :grin: 

I am not even an amateur genealogist, and what I know about James Hagan is pretty much limited to what I found in Fr. Hagan’s monograph, "Thomas & Mary Hagan of Charles Co., Maryland and His Descendants in Central Kentucky to about 1850," Hagan, Harry, O.S.B., [near you at] St. Meinrad Archabbey, St. Meinrad, IN 47577, June 1996.http://www.public.asu.edu/~moore/files/hagan/Hagan1/NelsonCo_Hagans.pdf

Here's an extract from there about James in the Revolutionary War: [in his pension application,] "James Hagan appeared before Nelson Co Court and gave his age as 66 years. He states he enlisted in Maryland in 1776 in Captain John Smith's Company (The 4th Regiment). His wife, aged 56 and 2 daughters, are living with him. He served in the 4th Regiment and later transferred to the Second Maryland Regiment under the command of Col Ford. He served from 1776 to August 1783 when he was discharged by Col. Brumby. He fought in the battle of Brandywine, Germantown, Camden, Guilford Courthouse and Eutaw Springs. He was shot in the hip during the last battle."

I have little doubt that Corp. Hagan was a participant in the "some plundering" that Wikipedia mentions.  :bier: 

In the course of following up on his background, I discovered that James was born just across the Frederick County (now W.V. state) line, near Clear Brook, where Winchester Motosports (once a Guzzi dealer) sits!

Anyway, speaking of lines, we better take any other discussions about this off-line lest that Volunteer State Doc takes us to task.  :P 

Bill

• Like 1

Oh, my, no. My father's family has a long history in West-by-God (smile-when-ya-say-it) Virginia, well back in time to when that was part of most western Virginia. Let us not forget our lineage or our history.

Perhaps by default, I was not born a Volunteer, but was "added to the 543rd EOD, Ft. Sheridan, Ill." much to the joy (and later misgivings) of the detachment commander. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've been absent from the forum for a while, but thanks to a welcome reminder text from Blueboarhound I just reserved a room at Tellico for this years festivities!  If I understand Doccs earlier post it's now called "The one and only official v11lemans.com southeastern USA chapter official annual rally".

This really should be a can't miss event!  I finally made it down to the SSR in 2016 after many years on the forum and had a great time hanging out, riding some great roads and putting faces to names from the forum.  Looking back, I'm especially glad that I was able to meet Wayne and Vicky Orwig and Bruce Lawson.  I really regretted not making it down in 2017 so I'm making it a priority this year.

The V11 hasn't seen much action in a long time, but I'm planning to leave the Stelvio at home come September!  I've got a bunch of things I'd like to get sorted on it, but finally setting up the sags and suspension and doing a "trigger job" on the gearbox selector are my main winter projects.

• Like 3

I've been absent from the forum for a while, but thanks to a welcome reminder text from Blueboarhound I just reserved a room at Tellico for this years festivities!  If I understand Doccs earlier post it's now called "The one and only official v11lemans.com southeastern USA chapter official annual rally".

This really should be a can't miss event!  I finally made it down to the SSR in 2016 after many years on the forum and had a great time hanging out, riding some great roads and putting faces to names from the forum.  Looking back, I'm especially glad that I was able to meet Wayne and Vicky Orwig and Bruce Lawson.  I really regretted not making it down in 2017 so I'm making it a priority this year.

The V11 hasn't seen much action in a long time, but I'm planning to leave the Stelvio at home come September!  I've got a bunch of things I'd like to get sorted on it, but finally setting up the sags and suspension and doing a "trigger job" on the gearbox selector are my main winter projects.

If you haven't seen it, we will have a new spring for your trigger job shortly.  :)

Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Anyone see the photos over on Killboy's sites of the rock slide and subsequent clean up on Moonshiner Hwy 28? The slide was several miles southeast of Fontana Dam.

If I understand Doccs earlier post it's now called "The one and only official v11lemans.com southeastern USA chapter official annual rally".

Here we go again . . . *Don't make me send the Big Brass Lady to spank yer bacon slicer!*

b8087ccf7ff8350584c7b4635f80a37f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As his lawyer, let me confirm that you understood him precisely.  

You captured not only the essential essence of his various pronouncements, but also clearly picked up the nuanced meanings between the lines .  

Well done, Sir, well done.   :thumbsup:

Bill

• Like 1