Fourteenth South'n Spine Raid 2018

Full disclosure: I "probably" have about a thousand miles left on my front Pirelli.  The Spine Raid pushes 800 for me. Which translates to worrying about the front tire the whole time.

Ferrying it, in this fashion, about an hour away where a :notworthy: trusted SpineRaider will swap out my front tire. :thumbsup:

Have I said, lately, how this community rocks? :sun:

Nobleswood - We can share my room if you haven't already found a spot.  I have a king + pullout sofa reserved, but I'll check to see if there are other combinations still available.  A few friends were supposed to come along, but they've all backed out.  What can I say, they ride BMWs and can't be trusted!

Last night I was forced to face two facts:

1- I'm not going to have the V11 ready for the trip

2- I am a huge, procrastinating loser!

So I will be riding down from Philadelphia on the Stelvio again.  Can't say my wrists or legs are upset about that, just my ego.

Next year I'll be getting married around this time so there's almost no chance I'll make it down (If anything falls through with that I'll be there!).  2020 however will nominally mark the 20th birthday for my bike!  Maybe that will be enough time for me to get it ready for the trip.  

• Like 1

Thanks to Dan & Walt at the Lodge, all is settled.

I'll be there on Wednesday evening & beginning to convince myself to just ride the Griso down.

This would mean I won't be bringing the big white van, the landbridge loading ramp, all of my tools & box fans for the garage tech sessions.

What will we be doing for a tech session ? Shaft drive replacement ? Swinging arm service on a Norge ? Checking the voltage regular on a V11 ? Answering Kiwi Roy's electrical schematic puzzles ? Discussing how long a battery should last. Or my hope; the dark art of suspensions & sag setting !

Is Ducati Tim going to be there this year ?

Looking forward to it !

• Like 2

Well, the Norge is ready.

The Griso is ready.

The Stornello is (almost) ready.

The EV is not and is no longer in the running.  I have no mechanical strengths, and automotive electricity is the least of those.  :huh2:  But that'll wait until we get back.

"The envelope, please."

As of today, it's the Stornello!  :race:

Yes.  even tho I only have 3K on the OEM tires and like 'em well enough, Im swapping those with Pirelli Scorpion Trail II front and rear, and riding -- not trailering -- it down.  Like docc, I would worry about the logistics of that; unlike docc, I ain't about to look as if I am going to a necklacing party on a m/c! :lol:  Seriously, aside from the 120-mile r/t, I did not wish to risk Kathi in two-up riding on marginal tires.

We are starting Thursday early; RON in Princeton, W.V.; arriving SSR on Friday evening.

The Stornello is a bit luggage-challenged, and, as a retired Regular, I decline to look "National Guard." :grin:   So, aside from a tool tube and tank bag, I'll be traveling light.

Happily, Kathi -- who, yes, approves of the choice, tho I suspect it will cost me in $ubtle ways later   :notworthy:   :wub:  -- will drive my sag wagon support vehicle down and stay within rescue distance if anything goes awry. 

Bill

Alas Ducati Tim will not be joining us this year. He was planning on it right up until about a month ago when his employer told him that he needs to be out west at a Kawasaki dealer meeting which conflicts with SSR. That said I will be bringing two first time Raiders with me both with Moto Guzzi's, one of them being a V11 Rosso Mandello.

• Like 2

Alas Ducati Tim will not be joining us this year. He was planning on it right up until about a month ago when his employer told him that he needs to be out west at a Kawasaki dealer meeting which conflicts with SSR. That said I will be bringing two first time Raiders with me both with Moto Guzzi's, one of them being a V11 Rosso Mandello.

Awesome!

Thanks to Dan & Walt at the Lodge, all is settled.

I'll be there on Wednesday evening & beginning to convince myself to just ride the Griso down.

This would mean I won't be bringing the big white van, the landbridge loading ramp, all of my tools & box fans for the garage tech sessions.

What will we be doing for a tech session ? Shaft drive replacement ? Swinging arm service on a Norge ? Checking the voltage regular on a V11 ? Answering Kiwi Roy's electrical schematic puzzles ? Discussing how long a battery should last. Or my hope; the dark art of suspensions & sag setting !

Is Ducati Tim going to be there this year ?

Looking forward to it !

Wednesday?  Really?  

Two days on (the delightful) back roads (of eastern Kentucky) or (surely not) slabbing it in a long one?  

Staying at Lodge?  Don't forget it's a dry county for "real" adult beverages.   :whistle:

Bill