Fourteenth South'n Spine Raid 2018

The first day we were out on the Mighty Scura, it suddenly started running poorly, so we turned around and putt putted back to the lodge. Well, not really because it wouldn't run at low rpm, so we cannonballed back to the lodge. :ninja: Fortunately, we brought tools :mg: including Dorcia's computer and cables. Hooked it up, saw the idle voltage was lower than normal, then her computer quit. Just *assumed* the TPS had lost it's ju ju, and we were done riding. Fortunately, Pat was there and said, "oh.. no problem, I have 2 spares with me.  :luigi: Naturally, once the seat came off, a crowd formed.

42783216500_f632e78311_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-34-08 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

It takes a village to repair a Guzzi.. :rasta:

Hooked her computer back up, and everything looked normal. No faults. Everything was working. Scratched head a bit. Josh said, "What's it doing?" so started it up and his Younger Ears said, "I hear a vacuum leak." :rolleyes: Wet my finger, touched the header pipes and it was obvious which cylinder it was. I'm kinda embarrassed to relate this.. that should have been my first thought when the plugs looked fine. Naturally, the left throttle body had been blown backward from a back fire.. not an unheard of thing. Now.. how to get it back together. Superman wouldn't be strong enough to just push the boot and body together.

More after lunch.

I have a pair of giant Channel Locks that would have been perfect, but they were 7 hours away. Nobleswood said, "Of course, I'm a woodworker, but I'd get three pieces of wood, make a big C clamp, and twist a rope to tighten them together."

Hmmm, good idea.. maybe a little orthodontia will work.. so got a ratchet strap out of the van.

29655145077_fa0c6415d5_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-33-12 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Made a Rube Goldberg arrangement, and with Tim's help pulled that sucker together. :grin:

"Uh huh, Uh huh, We bad.." :)

43874745704_dd225e6d9a_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-33-37 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Started right up, of course.. so we got to ride after all. Went down a back road to Bald river falls

44543197482_a9caa6a6cf_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-32-43 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

43874788134_1eecd441fd_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-36-05 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

and several miles later to a fish hatchery.

44593324561_7d8ce44f1c_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-32-21 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Dorcia was giving me the "why are we stopping here" look, but once she saw the fish she was amazed. Naturally, you can't see them very well.. I need a polarizing filter for my fone.. but there were the biggest rainbow, brook and brown trout I've ever seen.. along with the albino trout you can easily see in this picture.

43683760705_cd35c2042d_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-32-03 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr 

It's hard to tell the scale, but some of the rainbows had to be 24" or more.

We continued riding for the day including the "adventure" tour to arrive to this:

42783177420_288fbdd4e6_k.jpg2018-09-10_08-31-25 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Just how many tools and people does it take to remove the rear wheel on a Stornello?

But that's a tale for another time. :)

It was a wonderful trip for us. Thanks for making it all happen, Docc. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Thanks to all for putting up with a cager this year. Great to see familiar and new faces! Hoping next year to be back on 2 wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to all for putting up with a cager this year. Great to see familiar and new faces! Hoping next year to be back on 2 wheels!

The proud Bier Scow choice of discerning SpineRaiders! :bier:

IMG_6387.jpg

• Like 1

In solidarity with Blueboarhound, and his buddies, who tried so hard to get there, we toasted :bier: their efforts. And toasted :bier: to their better fortunes. We toasted :bier: the Daytona. We toasted :bier: the Daytona's toasted oil pump. We toasted :bier: to the number of times Blueboarhound must have inserted "F#*&ing" into every sentence that day.

After that last toast, we had to send the Bier Scow out for another load . . .  :grin:

• Like 1

Will post some pix when I can transfer some from Kathi's phone.  

It had to take a two-day "sabbatical" in a bag of dry rice, but seems not to have died from its little "swim."  :whistle:

FWIW, the rear tire is holding air just fine.   :race:   Many thanks to all.   :notworthy:

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks to all for making this such a fun event, I had a blast!

I promise to be on a Moto Guzzi at the next SSR.  :luigi:  :mg:

Saturday night and Sunday morning, there were four different Italian marques in the garage. 

Josh's Katzenjammer is an understated amazement! :thumbsup:

IMG_6385.jpg

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, wondering how many of you all got drenched on way home.

I left L@T at 1145 and rode back roads to Peachtree City.

Took the delightful Tenn. SR 68 to Ducktown, then Ga. SR 60 to Suches & Dahlonega, then 9 all the way into "greater" Atlanta where I took only slab of the trip, I-285 to I-85.

Stayed dry on all back roads,then, deservedly, soaked three in separate small but WET t-storms. C'est la vie.

Bill