Fourteenth South'n Spine Raid 2018

TN 30, crossing the Cumberland Platau, is a true rival to anything in the southern Appalachians. Team404 (middle Tenn. based), beat the backlash of Gordon's breakup. Almost. I encountered the line of heavy rain 50 miles out of my home in Nashville. Alpinestars ain't waterproof.

I would honor Herr Docktor for the tremdous amount of WORK that he puts into this "non-event". The tech sessions actually started for him about 8 weeks out. Driveshaft yoke broke. Dead starters. Tire to replace. Oil changes. Hung up gearshifts. Tune ups. Broken pipe hangers. Not to mention being a little feverish Friday and Saturday. Who Docc is, and what he has fostered among us is precious, indeed. The Katzenjammer Man pitched in there too. Proud to ride with em.

• Like 5

Those are kind words. :blush:  I am humbled.

Seriously, though, the TechSessions simply flourished without much of my influence. After all, this is what SpineRaid is all about.

:notworthy:  You guys are amazing!

There were even TechSessions in the background . . .

IMG_6417.jpg

• Like 1

Dang! You mean I can't try before I buy?

"First one's free" is good marketing for consumables, not durable goods. 

Sounds like a great event, despite the mechanical challenges.  SoCAL Not a Rally coming up soon here in San Diego.

Totally LMAO when I read the replies to that last image! :D:lol: :lol:

I looked back at my notes at the six weeks of prep before this ride involving three V11 and about 700 miles riding (more than the ride itself) . . . parts exchanges, international shipping, hit-and-run wrench sessions in the corners of remote garages. :luigi:

What a blast! Probably the most difficult SpineRaid I've ever prepped for and attended, if not just for the dental abscess I let get away. :blush:

The ingenuity, capability, and preparedness of this community continues to impress! :luigi::nerd::thumbsup:  As well as the generosity and genuine care and sharing.

To paraphrase Chuck's paraphrase:

"It takes a village to ride a Guzzi"  :mg:

Meeting up for such great food at The Tapoco (TAllahassee POwer COmpany) Lodge was so fabulous and unexpected. Turns out that rolling mountain stream is the Cheoah River:

IMG_6392.jpg

It's a good thing we're not there this weekend. The Lodge at Tellico looks well situated for LOTS of water from the sky. I hope all in the path stay well. Bill and Kathi in VA will get some full rain barrels. We've been quite lucky, at least the last 3 I've attended, to get in and out between hurricanes.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^^^^

Great stuff.

Will be running up The Valley from Galax today. 

Hoping to stay "reasonably” dry, but think today and yesterday's moisture along my route is not (directly) related to Florence. Prayers to all afflicted by that beast.  .  

OTOH, I had a great (and mostly dry) ride from Atlanta yesterday, including c.60 miles on the BRP from vic. Asheville to Linville. 

Will post some of our pix in a day or two.

Best to all,

Bill (& Kathi)

i-bWpWdGS-L.jpg

• Like 1

So, you know you're "loaded for bear" when you need one parking place for your bike, and another for all your kit . . .

IMG_6430.jpg

Somewhere in all of that kit is danl's new Chook-designed / Scud-made Super-Shift-Spring. :thumbsup:

The Jakester also went home from the SSR with one. All of the other V11ers assured me they already had them.

I'm holding out one for Andy York and one more for  . . .  :huh2:

Thanks, again, to  :notworthy:  Scud for the springs to share, and to :notworthy:  Chuck for the engineering!

• Like 1