Countersteer

gstallons

Bad crash good lesson. In that instance, it's all natural reaction. If you must think, it's too late. Brush up on your skills by riding to do so once in awhile. Think about what you're doing. Don't chase or race. Leave the gopro at home. Bond.

• Like 1

FAKE NEWS!!!!

Sorry. Just voicing an ignorant view point.  :glare:

In reality the video does illustrate a simple principle but also shows some other serious rider flaws. Like rolling off throttle and grabbing a big handful of front brake. If you really want to increase your skill as a rider, sign up for a few trackdays or go racing. You will quickly learn what your motorcycle is really capable of. You can train your self to trust your tires (with in their limits of course), countersteer, and give it MORE throttle (stabilizes the chassis and transfer load to the rear tire). Of course all of this is opposite of what our untrained brain wants us to do.  :oldgit:

• Like 3

have to agree that the bike was upset ....the bars were weaving right to left.  Might've been the brake, might've hit a bump in the road.  It didn't look like he was leaned over too far in corner either.

totw101117-e1510315751871.jpg

# 1 there is only one Valentino Rossi ( and it ain't me ) .

# 2 ride on the inside of your lane 

# 3  you never know what is past your vision

# 4 as emry suggested . track day course , reading and a lot of offensive/defensive riding . after you finish ask yourself " what did I do right , what did I do wrong" ?

# 5 I don't know what the rider did wrong but he didn't come out too well

# 6 countersteer is only part of a technique in turns

# 7 this rider freaked and did everything he shouldn't . You have to be aware and ready to react.

# 8 the road at the end of my road is a favorite of everyone to ride fast . I don't ride like this because I know Farmer Turnipseed or anyone else can be pulling out of a side road or loose rocks ,seeds, or anything can be in the curves .  

# 9 this was one Helluva learning experience for the rider . We all can learn from this

# 1 there is only one Valentino Rossi ( and it ain't me ) .

# 2 ride on the inside of your lane 

# 3  you never know what is past your vision

# 4 as emry suggested . track day course , reading and a lot of offensive/defensive riding . after you finish ask yourself " what did I do right , what did I do wrong" ?

# 5 I don't know what the rider did wrong but he didn't come out too well

# 6 countersteer is only part of a technique in turns

# 7 this rider freaked and did everything he shouldn't . You have to be aware and ready to react.

# 8 the road at the end of my road is a favorite of everyone to ride fast . I don't ride like this because I know Farmer Turnipseed or anyone else can be pulling out of a side road or loose rocks ,seeds, or anything can be in the curves .  

# 9 this was one Helluva learning experience for the rider . We all can learn from this

On #2 Start on the outside and use the road to steer to the inside.

If you start at the outside, you can usually look further into the turn.

And don't steer to early, you will have not enough road width to stay on your lane.

The principle "adapt your speed to free road that you can see" is also a good way to go. It helps to focus on the free road instead of other obstacles.

And to frank, my stomach was turning, when I saw the crash.

Hope the rider is recovered. What a ******* mess.

I think emry covers it - learn to ride off road to develop ability & understand bike's behaviours & capabilities at extremes. Practice; take some lessons; ride to your abilities.

Seen plenty of riders fall off cos they weren't prepared to lean it further.Trust your tyres (presuming you have decent tyres).

I never was taught to "countersteer" - it just came naturally when learning to ride - never thought about it.

Lean the bike over & it'll turn - I never really think of steering a bike with the bars - although I know counter steering initiates the turn, it's of a piece with shifting bodyweight & other inputs.  

Counter Steering threads have become the new Oil Thread.