Countersteer

gstallons

I hope some of you watched the video (above) regarding trail braking.

Here's some key points.  Trail braking is more practical on the street than on the track.  I am not meaning riding on sweepers, really more in everyday driving when making tight turns, intersections and green arrows.

What it means is just lightly dragging the brake to the apex of the turn and smoothly transitioning throttle when coming out of the curve.  When applying the front brake, as the fork is slightly compressed the wheelbase shortens and the bike is more nimble, in contrast to applying throttle and front end rises, the wheelbase lengthens like a cruiser and the bike gains stability. 

Most riders are trail braking when they downshift by using engine braking, it's just less controlled and relying on the rear wheel.  Not as efficient or as controllable.   When I trail brake I do both.

On the other hand, if you don't trail brake and coast with the clutch disengaged, then you really aren't in control of your bike with the throttle or brakes. 

Here's a test.  Practice trail braking going around a corner but don't gear down which will minimize engine braking.  Then as you brake for the corner, keep light pressure on the brake until you pick up on the throttle.  in fact you might have some overlap with braking and throttle.  I am not saying to ride like this often but it's just a way to practice trail braking.