Countersteer

gstallons

sorry, but I never really noticed any differences steering (or counter steering) a bike vs motorcycle.  

why would it be different once you're up to speed?  

I think the difference is bicycles often spend more time BELOW the point where counter steering takes over from direct steering as the best way to steer where as motorcycles spend considerably more time above that point,

But both motorcycles and bicycles have the same steering characteristics. At lower speeds they both direct steer well. As speed increases, counter steering becomes the only way to steer.

FTFY  :)

I hate countersteering threads. But I can't stop myself.

Bicycles and Motorcycles have precisely the same characteristics. Countersteering applies *only* at the initiation of a turn; that includes from a vertical straight line, or from an equalized constant radius turn. 
To change the attitude of the vehicle, you must change the relationship of center-of-mass to contact patch. The only way to get them farther away from, or closer to, vertical alignment is to steer the front wheel opposite to the intended direction of turn. Countersteering is NOT turning. It is setting up the balanced dynamic that a turn requires. 

Separating the act of setting up a turn and executing a turn in one's mind opens up a whole new world of understanding, competency, and control. 

• Like 1

Separating the act of setting up a turn and executing a turn in one's mind opens up a whole new world of understanding, competency, and control. 

and the problem is?  :)

Well, ok.. I'll chime in. Most bicyclists.. oh never mind. 

And some days are even better when on your 120 miles long twisty favorite road, not to much brakes, ( 70 - 80miles ) more like an eagle, and it feels all natural, great.

Heard in a pub in England,  no never know how fast you can take that curb before you fell of  

• Like 4

Dig out your physics books or google Centripetal Force.  All will be explained.

Spoiler alert, less mass in a bicycle wheel than a motorcycle wheel.

*additionally* but not *entirely*.

Dig out your physics books or google Centripetal Force.  All will be explained.

Spoiler alert, less mass in a bicycle wheel than a motorcycle wheel.

I understand the physics of it, although I don't have a physics book to dig out. Besides, books are for "old" people..... Nowadays we just google something.

Yes, a bicycle has less mass in its wheels. But it also has less mass over all.

I am not sure I get your point.

A couple things.

If you want to train avoiding obstacles next time you're out avoid every manhole. You'll pick up how to avoid something while moving pretty quickly.

And secondly, that hit was hard enough to pop the GoPro out of its shell. That's pretty impressive as they do not open easily. Impressive as in you never want to hit something that hard. Ever.

Been there before they filled it in.

Sissies.

Road Atlanta went from being one of my favorite tracks to being a track I don't have any desire to go back to. They really screwed that track up. I am just glad I got to race on it before they F'd it up.

• Like 1