Fuel Injector cleaner yea or nea

Colorobo

I've used Techron. Not familiar with BG44 (?)

I've also found that the current Shell premium fuel formulation that is Shell V-Power NitroPlus really agrees with my Sport's state of tune and carboned-up piston crowns.

Anybody use a fuel injector additive cleaner like BG 44?

I removed, backflushed and cleaned my injectors when I did some work on my fuel system at 80,000km. My injectors were held in with loctite on the screws, so don't do this if you don't have time and patience.  

While I was replacing the fuel filter & hoses, I noticed some brown fuzz matted in the external fuel pump intake screen. I found lots more on the tank outlet manual shutoff screen, and a little of the same stuff in the screen of the pressure regulator. Where did it come from? My guess was an old fuel filter was slowly coming apart.

I decided that there must be some of this fuzz in the injector inlets too, so I took them out, and backflushed them. I also washed out the fuel tank with hot water & detergent.

Afterwards the bike ran just the same as it did before :  awesome!

So do you need to remove your injectors and back-flush? Probably not, but if you are like me, you want to.

Scud posted a picture of the backflush tool. There is two kits, one in NZ, one in USA, so just ask one of us if you want a loan.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18805&page=17&do=findComment&comment=215317

• Like 1

If I have a bottle of Seafoam around, I might stuff a little bit in the tank for grins and giggles.

I am not big believer in any of it . But Seafoam has a decent reputation to clean out the fuel lines and combustion chambers.   The insides that I can see, the pan and rockers, look clean enough to eat of.  Just spitballing the Seafoam stuff for what I can't see. 

I've also found that the current Shell premium fuel formulation that is Shell V-Power NitroPlus really agrees with my Sport's state of tune and carboned-up piston crowns.

Compression boost over time. 

• Like 1

Compression boost over time. 

A patina state-of-tune . . .

If I have a bottle of Seafoam around, I might stuff a little bit in the tank for grins and giggles.

I am not big believer in any of it . But Seafoam has a decent reputation to clean out the fuel lines and combustion chambers.   The insides that I can see, the pan and rockers, look clean enough to eat of.  Just spitballing the Seafoam stuff for what I can't see.

I happened across thos video referring to seafoam recently- seems to advise against the stuff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gg9ppeUMpK4

I was turned on to Seafoam a few years ago by a friend who is a life long mechanic. Granted, he's "old school" but he's talented, and a believer. Since we in the midwest have a "bike season", they tend to sit for a few months, unused and in fluctuating temps and humidity. He puts the stuff in first Spring gas for all motors that sit for the winter. I do as well. I also use it if I have an unusual poor running condition when I can't get an answer by doing the usual checks. I use it in all "new to me" gas tanks. I believe it does some fuel system cleaning.

The guy in the video makes some good points, but his goofy jabber doesn't inspire confidence.

Ahh, a fuel additive thread. Almost as good as an oil thread. I read a review of the then current fuel additives a few years ago, and Techron won hands down. When I'm out in California, I run Chevron because I can get it. The Mighty Scura has been run on it for years, and sat for as much as 10 months at a time without a fuel issue, ever.

That's my story, and I'm stickin with it. :oldgit::) 

Can't get Chevron around here. I suppose I should get some Techron and but it in the bike's tanks once in a while.

Bell Ethanol Defense on a regular basis.

Redline S1 + Italian Tune-Up when I think things are getting sticky.

• Like 1

“His goofy jabber doesn’t inspire confidence”

Haa! Indeed! As a brit i find him amusing- reminds me of that stereotyped ‘tv-advert-american-used-car-salesman’ : “I’m Manic Marv and I’m mad for low low prices etc etc..”

No, I pulled the injectors and had them tested, cleaned and retested.  It did make a difference.  Still taking the injectors off wasn't pretty as I had to dremel one of the flat head allens out.  just a couple of hours of careful drilling

I replaced the flat heads with allens that use a much bigger key.

• Like 2