Fuel Injector cleaner yea or nea

Colorobo

If I have a bottle of Seafoam around, I might stuff a little bit in the tank for grins and giggles.

I am not big believer in any of it . But Seafoam has a decent reputation to clean out the fuel lines and combustion chambers.   The insides that I can see, the pan and rockers, look clean enough to eat of.  Just spitballing the Seafoam stuff for what I can't see.

I happened across thos video referring to seafoam recently- seems to advise against the stuff:

The guy in the video is a tool (idiot) who does not understand what he is talking about. He puts things into simple terms that seem to, on the surface, make sense. But reality is that things change.

Use a cleaner like Seafoam or Chevron Techron or don't. Odds are it will not make a difference. But it isn't going to hurt, and you never know it might help.

• Like 2

If I have a bottle of Seafoam around, I might stuff a little bit in the tank for grins and giggles.

I am not big believer in any of it . But Seafoam has a decent reputation to clean out the fuel lines and combustion chambers.   The insides that I can see, the pan and rockers, look clean enough to eat of.  Just spitballing the Seafoam stuff for what I can't see.

I happened across thos video referring to seafoam recently- seems to advise against the stuff:

I saw the video and enjoy Scotty.  His big point is that Seafoam doesn't benefit Direct Injection engines, especially the VW that had a real carbon/coke issue on the intake / combustion areas. (We're talking $2k to blow it out with walnut shells, before the timing adjuster packs up and ruins the engine altogether.)

Although we don't have DI, if Gumout will clean the fuel system better, go for it.  Seafoam was good for sticking floats -we don't have carbs either.  

But that old Toyota did show thorough carbon clean with Gumout.  Dang impressive.  He didn't compare if Seafoam would do the same.  Since my motorcycles all have plenty of miles on them, I might run some Gumout to clean out the carbon.

Again, it couldn't hurt.  And what, you'll spend the same $10 for 20 pack of Pabst?    Ohh.... wait??!! 

This I know, I use a high dose of sea foam once a year 1/2 bottle to 2 1/2 gal gas.

First time I did it took the bike out for a ride, started running really bad after about 10 miles.

Back fire, sluggish, not responsive. Got home pulled the plugs and they were carbon caked, like a stroke.

Long story short, took a few cleanings of the plugs, and the bike after new plugs did run better.

My thought is as the carbon is being released it is catching on a hot point, the plugs.

And a plus is the smell is slightly similar to race fuel, and who doesn't like that smell in the morning!!!

• Like 2

I put some Gunk in the EV yesterday and ran it about 40 miles.

Nothing to report. 

But I was thinking, that I probably should've put the Gunk in the Sport BEFORE I changed oil rather than after.   :homer:

• 3 years later...

I was getting some stumbling recently at high rpms. Symptoms identical to mucked up jets in carbs. Then to top it off my tach started acting up. Flopping around stupidly. Got to the point I whipped out my Motogadget gauges (got them and just waiting for the OEM Veglia  self lubricating cogs to give up). 

Welp, put in 20oz of Techron into the tank and stayed on the freeway keeping crazy needled rpm gauge close to 6k rpms between 5th and 6th gear periodically going from 80 to 120ish just opening up the throttlebodies from time to time. I felt a real difference around 60 miles on the tank. Sputtering disappeared. Somehow it fixed my tach. I dunno. Somehow with the tyrottlebodies being off it must of thrown off the tach. Either that or the self lubricating cogs somehow squeezed out some juice and worked some magic. 

Somehow a $15 bottle of Techron fixed my bike. 

But the Lemans did tell me to "suck it" by the valve cover gasket leaking a little pissing on my left leg. Oh well. $4 from MG Cycle. 

Bottom line... Techron some good sh!t. 😉🤫

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

I was getting some stumbling recently at high rpms. Symptoms identical to mucked up jets in carbs. Then to top it off my tach started acting up. Flopping around stupidly. Got to the point I whipped out my Motogadget gauges (got them and just waiting for the OEM Veglia  self lubricating cogs to give up). 

Welp, put in 20oz of Techron into the tank and stayed on the freeway keeping crazy needled rpm gauge close to 6k rpms between 5th and 6th gear periodically going from 80 to 120ish just opening up the throttlebodies from time to time. I felt a real difference around 60 miles on the tank. Sputtering disappeared. Somehow it fixed my tach. I dunno. Somehow with the tyrottlebodies being off it must of thrown off the tach. Either that or the self lubricating cogs somehow squeezed out some juice and worked some magic. 

Somehow a $15 bottle of Techron fixed my bike. 

But the Lemans did tell me to "suck it" by the valve cover gasket leaking a little pissing on my left leg. Oh well. $4 from MG Cycle. 

Bottom line... Techron some good sh!t. 😉🤫

Yep, Techron is "some good sh!t."

Yet, if your tach has gone flinky, focus on your Relay#2. If you are not already running High Current OMRON, do not hesitate: "Collect All Five!":

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

7 minutes ago, docc said:

Yet, if your tach has gone flinky, focus on your Relay#2. If you are not already running High Current OMRON, do not hesitate: "Collect All Five!":

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/omron-electronics/g8he1c7trdc12-42670683.html

That is likely the real issue.. And way cheaper than going through Piaggio by the way. Thanks!

• Like 1

A full set of High Current OMRON relays, condition your battery (with clean and DeOxit treated terminals and gearbox ground), with a clean/treated Ignition Switch, and a "Decent Tune-up" will likely outpace any of the very best fuel additives.

Pretty sure your tach reveals the real culprit . . . 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, docc said:

Techron and an Italian tune-up!..... both on my near horizon

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, docc said:

A full set of High Current OMRON relays, condition your battery (with clean and DeOxit treated terminals and gearbox ground), with a clean/treated Ignition Switch, and a "Decent Tune-up" will likely outpace any of the very best fuel additives.

Pretty sure your tach reveals the real culprit . . . 

The beauty of loving a bike that is loved by folks with engineering backgrounds. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rox Lemans said:

The beauty of loving a bike that is loved by folks with engineering backgrounds. 

Pretty cool that onlinecomponents still offers these >best< High Current relays, and --> better ---> they are in your home State!  You'll have them in a couple days!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, footgoose said:

seems they've about doubled in price

Yeah, look at that: $9.87US each.

Still probably the best fifty bucks you'll ever spend on your V11.

Plus that twenty dollar can of CAIG DeOxit Gold.

Dye-amn! Twelve-Thousand-Dollar motorcycles that can eat you up tens-of-dollars at a time . . . :luigi:  :sun::mg: