Replacement tacho - will this work?

Tinus89

Hey all,

My tacho has always been a bit sketchy to start off with. Upon disassembly of the cockpit for other maintenance, the two bushing between the tacho and the black plastic backcover came loose in the tacho housing.

Solvable, but let's say it's not prestine anymore.

The option has arisen to buy a used tacho for cheap money, but it is off I think a Cali EV. White face Veglia, just like mine. The owner thinks it came of a 1100sport.

Stickers say "5500 IMP 12v" and the P/N is 037672000.

Now the question before I purchase it as a backup: will it work on my V11 (15M ECU)?

Thanks!

I wonder what sort of ECU the EV had, possibly the large P8

The signal level should be compatible but it might have a different No of pulses per revolution and be out by a factor of 2

Is there any way you can try it first?

Just for reference, the V11 tach is PN 02767200.

I wonder if the EV tach (1100 Sport?) has the same redline and RPM range as the V11?

The whiteface EV tach is the same as on the Greenie.   The internal counterweight came loose of my EV tach.  Took the bezel off (terrible job and worse to put it back on) and epoxied the weight back on.  No problems since.  

The EV speedo is getting pretty loopy at 65k miles.  Speedo says I am going 60 when I am actually going about 45.  It doesn't jump but is getting VERY optimistic.  Probably won't get it repaired until it stops altogether.  Then back to Joel Levine.  

I wonder if the EV tach (1100 Sport?) has the same redline and RPM range as the V11?

Thanks.

Yes, same yellow/redline and range (7k-8k-11k)

For $300 you can get a new pair of modern Speedhut gauges doing away with the bothersome cable drive, just saying.

I know. But they are not original and are about 3x more expensive (each) than the 50euro I am paying for this tacho.

I've agreed with the seller I can return it when it doesn't work. Of course I will post the results here:)

• Like 1

The two most common problems back in the day were the counterweight and a bad ground. As far as I know, all the white face Veglias are the same. When the one in my Centauro started going bad, it kept reading higher and higher. I'm assuming that it was a spring problem. Where have I heard of that?   :whistle: At any rate, Mark at MGC gave me one from a crashed bike, and I opened it up and put the guts from it into mine, changed the mileage, and it was fine for the rest of the time I had it.

Confirmation: the tacho of a Cali EV does not work on a V11 sport:(

No response whatsoever to the check tach command in Guzzidiag. I've sent it back to the seller.

Luckily my tach is still working:)

Yeah, I have a dollar that sez the spare I picked up off a Quota will work on the Mighty Scura if necessary. Uhh, it's just power, signal and ground.  :huh2:

And the matching ECU?

Docc, *I don't know* but I would think a tach pulse is a tach pulse. Maybe not..  for instance, though, I took the guts out of a Yamaha tach, put it in the MZ, wired in a connector, and Bob's your mother's brother.

I just have a hard time thinking there are dedicated Veglia models for different Guzzi models.