New Speedhut Gauges!

BLIGHT

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Been awful busy riding the 2003 V11.... she's pretty wonderful!

I recently had the main ODO on the Veglia speedo quit, so I opened it up to inspect.... the dreaded stripped plastic drive gear.

This is crap on a bike with 11,000 miles on it put on by the previous owner in the NW. Here's the busted gear:

YMAUGm0l.jpg

So after reading as much as I could, I ordered up a pair of new Speedhut gauges out of Orem Utah. It took a few weeks to get 'em, but they are truly sweet pieces. I was able to select the numeric font, face color, needle color, tick style.... you can truly make a custom gauge set. My goal was to make them look as much like the Veglias as possible.

I went with a 3 3/8" GPS 120 mph speedometer and 8K tach. Here's a pic of the new gauges:

HnEdXDil.jpg

Another shot:

iaKzjyjl.jpg

I ended up mounting the GPS antenna inside the hollow rear cowl section... here it is stuck on with some tape to test the best placement:

a6rl3d8l.jpg

They give you plenty of antenna cable to put it wherever you like.

For under $330 for the pair it's a true bargain, made in USA and a Lifetime Warranty.

Highly recommended!

BLIGHT

• Like 3

There are several on here with those. Too bad you didn’t ask first there's a thread on here.

They are nice gauges and a great company to deal with.

Weelldone, BLIGHT! :thumbsup:

Did you get the sealed face bezels "for motorcycle use?"

How did you mount them to the support plate? Are you still using the original "cups" (or covers) over the "backs" of the gauges (which are toward the front of the bike)?

(questions-questions . . . :nerd: )

Weelldone, BLIGHT! :thumbsup:

Did you get the sealed face bezels "for motorcycle use?"

How did you mount them to the support plate? Are you still using the original "cups" (or covers) over the "backs" of the gauges (which are toward the front of the bike)?

(questions-questions . . . :nerd: )

Right now it's 'cupless' and I will sort that out someday. I never ride in the rain and the gauges are pretty behind the headlight fairing.

I have my eye on some universal gauge cups.

The OEM gauge plate (CF) has just the right-size holes for these gauges 3 3/8". The gauges come with a threaded back-ring (gauges are threaded as well)

You just put them in the holes and snug up the rings on the back-side.

The idiot light cluster is a PITA to deal with, since it's covered by the original gauge-cups as one large unit.

I ended up using a Dremel to remove the two round gauge cups (because they are too small), and just left the center section to cover the back of the warning light pod.

The OEM white plastic used to hold the indicator lamps is crumbling on my bike... all 3 mounting screw-inserts were broken or cracked and unusable.

I used some hot glue to reassemble the crumbling idiot light section and it looks OK now from the outside.

Both gauges are easy to wire up, and for the tach (programmable for different engines) I set it to 2 pulses per revolution which works perfectly.

The GPS is 'plug & play' no sensors, angle-drives or such to deal with.... just mount the remote antenna in the cowl cubby and you're good to go.

I tried it in several locations, and this one inside the cowl is superior for reception.

I did in fact look for an existing thread on these, but it's not very good IMO and has a lot of weird styles and mountings...

I think a clean thread showing my gauge 'design' finished install that resembles the stock gauge setup is worthy for those considering the swap.

They will do custom artwork too as well on the faces, but they can't do copyright infringing like printing 'VEGLIA' or the Guzzi Eagle... at least I read that on their site.

All of the new gauges from SpeedHut have rubber sealed bezels these days, but I still wouldn't hold a pressure washer to 'em!

Oh, and they look really cool at night... the backlight is a soft white led... looks like back-lit white paper....and bright orange needles... beautiful!

(I put some silicone around where the wires exit the gauges on the backs to keep dust & moisture out) That is something they need to make 'stock', or just provide screw terminals that go through the back gauge housings... right now, it's just wires coming out of a hole!

BLIGHT 

• Like 1

What will we all do once all the angle drives and flinky factory shift springs are in the bin? The whole forum will spiral into oil threads and wash-wax products! :grin:

Say, BLIGHT, you might want to post your results on the "How to  . . . " thread, Installing Speedhut Gauges.  It is a bit lengthy, but gives readers a single place to take in several approaches to installing these excellent pieces.

Speedhut definitely told me no "Veglia" on the faces, but otherwise gave me a lot of latitude replicating the original look:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

What will we all do once all the angle drives and flinky factory shift springs are in the bin? The whole forum will spiral into oil threads and wash-wax products! :grin:

Say, BLIGHT, you might want to post your results on the "How to  . . . " thread, Installing Speedhut Gauges.  It is a bit lengthy, but gives readers a single place to take in several approaches to installing these excellent pieces.

Speedhut definitely told me no "Veglia" on the faces, but otherwise gave me a lot of latitude replicating the original look:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

That looks verrrry nice! I also learned later they can leave the 'Speedhut Made in USA' text off the bottom edge if you wish....

BLIGHT

• Like 1

That looks verrrry nice! I also learned later they can leave the 'Speedhut Made in USA' text off the bottom edge if you wish....

BLIGHT

Thank you, Sir! I had a great time fussing with them!  I did end up spending a lot more on them going through the design iterations. A lot.

I almost deleted the "Speedhut Made in USA," but decided to give credit where it is due and merely had them subdue it to a grey.

Later, I kinda wished I had it as "Speedhut Made in Utah" just for grins. And it's cool to say. :grin:

Hey guys,

Long time no post! Been awful busy riding the 2003 V11.... she's pretty wonderful!

I recently had the main ODO on the Veglia speedo quit, so I opened it up to inspect.... the dreaded stripped plastic drive gear.

This is crap on a bike with 11,000 miles on it put on by the previous owner in the NW. Here's the busted gear:

YMAUGm0l.jpg

So after reading as much as I could, I ordered up a pair of new Speedhut gauges out of Orem Utah. It took a few weeks to get 'em, but they are truly sweet pieces. I was able to select the numeric font, face color, needle color, tick style.... you can truly make a custom gauge set. My goal was to make them look as much like the Veglias as possible.

I went with a 3 3/8" GPS 120 mph speedometer and 8K tach. Here's a pic of the new gauges:

HnEdXDil.jpg

Another shot:

iaKzjyjl.jpg

I ended up mounting the GPS antenna inside the hollow rear cowl section... here it is stuck on with some tape to test the best placement:

a6rl3d8l.jpg

They give you plenty of antenna cable to put it wherever you like.

For under $330 for the pair it's a true bargain, made in USA and a Lifetime Warranty.

Highly recommended!

BLIGHT

Looks good, nice job. You know you could almost certainly mount the GPS antenna inside the tail piece and it will work fine. I fitted a new header with sat nav unit to my old Monaro (Pontiac GTO to you guys) and had the antenna mounted under the dash plastic inside the car where it had to get a signal through the windscreen as well as the dash plastic. Worked fine.

Ciao 

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

Man, that does look good.  I might've gone that route if I had known to order that set up. 

The logos and the correct speedo and tach numbers make it look right.

Thanks, again! It was a long, drawn-out affair, but the final outcome is encouraging!

Just ask BLIGHT!

Fitting Speedhut gauge replacements in a dry climate like SoCal, or Arizona, USA, is comparatively easy. Trying to secure them to moisture infiltration otherwise? The jury is still out. I've done my best. Be advised: they are not delivered "water resistant" as needed for motorcycle applications.

And, again, you can get Speedhut to design the faces anyway you like, but the process adds cost. My Speedhut were almost double what BLIGHT spent.

Still worth it! :thumbsup:

Thanks, again! It was a long, drawn-out affair, but the final outcome is encouraging!

Just ask BLIGHT!

Fitting Speedhut gauge replacements in a dry climate like SoCal, or Arizona, USA, is comparatively easy. Trying to secure them to moisture infiltration otherwise? The jury is still out. I've done my best. Be advised: they are not delivered "water resistant" as needed for motorcycle applications.

And, again, you can get Speedhut to design the faces anyway you like, but the process adds cost. My Speedhut were almost double what BLIGHT spent.

Where is the issue docc? is moisture ingress likely around the bezel or more the casing? I dont believe totally sealed instruments are any good. I've had 2 bikes that fogged the instruments regularly due to factory sealing and the cure was to drill vent holes in the case where water entry was unlikely. Worked both times with no issues for the instruments, however no sealing around the bezel would be a big problem on a bike.

Ciao 

Just ask BLIGHT!

yeah, but one of them birds is facin' the wrong way.

jus' sayin'

:homer:

Just ask BLIGHT!

Where is the issue docc? is moisture ingress likely around the bezel or more the casing? I dont believe totally sealed instruments are any good. I've had 2 bikes that fogged the instruments regularly due to factory sealing and the cure was to drill vent holes in the case where water entry was unlikely. Worked both times with no issues for the instruments, however no sealing around the bezel would be a big problem on a bike.

Ciao 

Good points, as always.  I was concerned about a total seal because of trapping the moisture. Yet, these Speedhut are built for HotRod dashes, inside a car. The gauge bodies (cases) are not sealed, as BLIGHT pointed out. Wiring emanates from rather large, unsealed holes that are on the "leading edge" of motorcycle gauges. I, too, tried my best to seal them up with silicone and cover them up with the original gauge "cups/covers." Shielded under my Stucchi flyscreen.

Yet, I haven't, yet, taken them through the kind of deluge we are prone to in these environs.

IMG_3556.jpg

yeah, but one of them birds is facin' the wrong way.

jus' sayin'

:homer:

Some people's eagles fly left. Some fly right. Best if they fly ahead. Don't make 'em fly back'ard. :oldgit:

Mine fly concentric. Don't get between 'em.

You could get pinched . . .  :o