New Speedhut Gauges!

BLIGHT

Looks good.  :thumbsup:

Thanks much!

I just had a thought, these caps are pretty thick wall... if you wanted to ditch the threaded rings altogether, you could use the set-screw idea others have used.

These ABS caps can easily be drilled and tapped for 3 little Allen set-screws.

It would require a bit of relief at the edge near the 'idiot lamp' cluster.... it's pretty tight in there, and the threaded ring is smaller OD, and acts as a spacer for the cap(s).

Actually I think white PVC S40 caps are a little thinner wall, and the same 3.5" ID, so a smaller OD.... might allow for better clearance in the center.

PVC being white, your paint may scratch if not careful... the ABS is black and scratches won't really show.

BLIGHT

FWIW, I found the wall thickness of the Speedhut cases quite thin. One of set screws made a hole.

I'm not sure how much clearance there is inside the Speedhut cases before a penetrating fastener might make contact with the electronics.

I think I've found the easiest installation, but I've had an issue, not related to the installation though. 

I left the threaded rings off the back of the Speedhut gauges and simply put a small bead of clear silicon around the base of the bevel and laid them into the dash and let them sit overnight to dry in place. And then I took the original back cover, unmodified and ran a heavier bead of silicon around the exposed threads on the back of the Speedhut gauges, and then slid the back cover in place on the back and lightly clamped it in place until the silicon dried. It was kind of flawless, as in, it helps water resist the setup, but the back/protected areas and holes are all still in place to let moisture out and resist condensation. Only problem is, the front bezel wasn't quite tight from Speedhut, and the dial has spun inside the housing, and because my install is semi-permanent my solution has been an electrical tape redline. My thinking was that I wasn't going to remove these things unless they stopped working. Now I'm faced with a lot of coaxing these things apart to first loosen the bezel, realign the dial, and then tighten it up extra good. Maybe I'll put a dot of glue on there for good measure. I've ridden them like this for a year, no issues, no separation, it's been a good, clean install, except for that drifting face. I was cursing myself at first, I've never been so careful as to make sure something was straight and aligned, and when it was only a little bit out I thought I had messed it up. But then it got worse. 

gallery_5865_253_485103.jpg

gallery_5865_253_199041.jpg

Mine never drifted. I installed with big O-rings on both sides of the dash. When installed the O-rings were slightly compressed. Maybe they held everything in place?